Raised deck - want to replace with paving slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have a raised deck outside the rear of the house. The deck is around 1.5m off the ground. The house is listed and stands on a buttressed brick wall (also listed). It's currently around 5m wide and 4m deep (extending out from the house). It's supported by a number of doubled stringers, steel posts 600mm apart.
While the house and wall are G2 listed, The deck not connected to the house and is permitted.

The deck is a) ugly b) needs redoing every few years as it's always in the shade and does not weather well.

My thoughts are to redo it but this time with a slab and paving.

Clearly need to uprate the supporting structure but wondering about options and movement / cracking.

Workable (financially sensible) or shall I go composite?

Sponsored Links
Composite.
you would need a steel structure to support the slabs, or a hardcore filled base.

just a though
if this is an old structure that complied with the rules at the time it may iff substantially changed need to comply with for example 300mm max to avoid planning permission as a new structure
i simply dont know but worth checking??

Sponsored Links
Not sure I understand? 300mm what?
if its deemed to be a new deck rather than repair then it will need planning as above 300mm and probably wont be allowed possibly on several level

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back