Random False Alarms when Unset!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I had a PIR cable running across a wall which im wallpapering so i decided to chop a chase in the wall and bury it (not with plaster but acrylic filler) so i can easily hang the wallpaper and make it look better. Problem is, in the past 2 weeks, when ive been in the house, (obviously alarm unset!) i have had 2 false alarms, say a week inbetween. I thought oh no it must be because i have buried the PIR cable in te wall but should it that be the cause of the problem?? I haven't severed the cable and haven't pulled it taught. I checked the terminals in the PIR and cable ends look secure. I'm worried about it going off when im not in the house or if im in bed.

Any ideas why this should happen? BTW, I didn't trunk the cable in PVC.
1st time it went off was 2 weeks ago so when i went to deacivate, that actually activated the alarm lol so i had to put in the code again to deactivate it.

Then last night, it went off again, coincided with me dropping a metal filling knife from while i was on ladder which seemed to trigger it.

Sponsored Links
~Well if its unset its not a false alarm.
It will be a tamper fault.

What was on the panel/keypad when it activated, did you look?

~Well if its unset its not a false alarm.
It will be a tamper fault.

What was on the panel/keypad when it activated, did you look?

unfortunately didnt as it wasnt actually me who went to turn it off. anything i should look for? There is a ready light, armed light, system light and lights for 8 zones. Anything to look out for incase it happens again? Any ideas to resolve the problem?

Also, noticed the cable which i concealed in wall, one end links to PIR and the other.... lol... well it has some black thermal tape around it so not sure if this is a join or what not and then the cable carries on as normal to the outside loudspeaker

Cheers

Name of system would help.

Err you filled over a taped joint?

Or you got it wet, and its going to the external sounder, great.
Been fitted long?

Sponsored Links
Name of system would help.

Err you filled over a taped joint?

Or you got it wet, and its going to the external sounder, great.
Been fitted long?

No, I haven't filled over the joint:cool:. Joint hasn't been touched as it's at the end of the room going through the window. Just what was in the way on the wall for wallpapering has been filled but its a straight run of cable so really shouldn't be a problem. From past experience, I know these cables can be a bit temperamental so i thought better not to use plaster to conceal it but just use very light acrylic filler.

The make is DSC Powerseries, but I didn't see a model number. Have had it around 4 years and had no problems before.

Here's a pic:

l_PC1555RKZ.jpg

And have you tested this cable yet?

Sorry, how do you mean tested? I don't have a clue about alarms :(

Just read back what i put, hope im not confusing you. basically i havent filled over any joins.

Well for starters you have moved a cable, one with a joint. Also ran it horizontally from the description.

Then had a "false alarm", you then say "i went to deacivate, that actually activated the alarm".
Which does not make a lot of sense.

Then it goes off again when your on the ladder, I assume filling the chase where the cable is/was.

So its pretty clear that there is cable damage there and needs a repair/replacement or it may well happen again.

Well for starters you have moved a cable, one with a joint. Also ran it horizontally from the description.

I haven't moved it. Was already running horizontally across the wall.

Then had a "false alarm", you then say "i went to deacivate, that actually activated the alarm".
Which does not make a lot of sense.

Well, I assume that the alarm went off, this will be a tamper fault being triggered causing alarm to go off. To turn off this fault, i had to put alarm code in keypad. The alarm then stopped. But 5 secs later, the alarm sounded again because me turning it off before was me activating it. Sorry it's confusing. Let me know if you still don't understand i will explain again :)

Then it goes off again when your on the ladder, I assume filling the chase where the cable is/was.

No, i was using my filling knife for trimming top of wallpaper which was on the other side of room.

So its pretty clear that there is cable damage there and needs a repair/replacement or it may well happen again.

I think what's happened, that join i mentioned earlier may have come apart slightly and maybe loose by a fraction and caused a tamper fault which triggered the alarm. So really, the installers should come and fix what they should have done properly in the first place. How is alarm cable joined together? Connecting block or something?

I think what's happened, that join i mentioned earlier may have come apart slightly and maybe loose by a fraction and caused a tamper fault which triggered the alarm. So really, the installers should come and fix what they should have done properly in the first place. How is alarm cable joined together? Connecting block or something?

Well thats the general assumption, from the start.
When was it installed?
Why was it allowed to be left like that?
Why should the installer come back, see above.
As for running horizontally, really. Just hanging across the wall?

How would we know how its connected, could be chewing gum from the sound of the bodge. Got any pictures?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back