Random metal bar in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any ideas what this might be, before I hack at it? A thin skim of plaster fell off as I was taking off the wallpaper. It's iron or steel, about an inch wide with a bevelled edge, and runs from the ceiling as far as the round magnet I've left stuck to it in the photo. I've run the magnet over the rest of the wall and that's all there is. It's not beading- as well as not being full height it's several inches from the corner and is solid (or at least angle iron).

https://imgur.com/a/hLN2g3V

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Is there a light fitting on the wall? Or a mains point below?
Check the other side of the wall as well

99% certain that will be a metal shield to protect a cable

Thanks - that does make sense but it would be an odd place for a light fitting. The power points are on opposing walls left and right of shot. The wall (cavity brick) is external so nothing on other side. I believe this room used to be the kitchen and is now a dining room, so a removed power socket halfway down the wall and near the window would make sense.

Sponsored Links
How old is the property, might it be an old steel gas pipe for a gas light?

They used threaded steel pipe and cast iron fittings, back in the day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back