Random socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody know what sort of socket this is? I initially thought it was a clock socket, but I think it's the wrong shape.

Google suggests a britmac, but I can only see 2 pin hole

Socket https://imgur.com/a/poBz704

Attachments

• 20200329_1854472288046484732355538.jpg
    20200329_1854472288046484732355538.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 337
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yeah, was like that when we moved in about 18 months ago. Would like a standard 3 pin socket, and wondered if it was likely to be wired into the lights (if it was a clock plug).
L
As below. Probably from old storage radiator system. The wiring etc is probably dead now.
How many fuseboards do you have? Pictures please.
In any case, there’s no point having a socket there, you’ll never get a plug in with the TRV valve there!

As below. Probably from old storage radiator system. The wiring etc is probably dead now.
How many fuseboards do you have? Pictures please.
In any case, there’s no point having a socket there, you’ll never get a plug in with the TRV valve there!
Had the consumer unit replaced, so just 1 now.

No dedicated circuit for it, unlike a couple of other sockets that were converted previously downstairs and are on radials.

Seems from the dodgy plastering that there are 2 cables present, but haven't got round to confirming that yet.

The angle of the photo is deceptive, should just be able to fit a plug in.

You need to test the wires behind to determine if there is power there and to identify which circuit the FCU is on.

I’ll bet it’s all disconnected.

My idea for testing is to wire in the socket faceplate and use my plug in tester. I will turn the entire CU off to ensure there is no power

I see that as the safest way. Obviously not ideal, but the only testing kit I have is the plug in, apart from a multimeter, and I'm not sure on this socket how I would use that?

well you could scrape the paint off a screw

set the meter to 250V ~AC (or higher)
flick the switch on
stick one lead on the screw head and the other into the fuse holes in turn and see if you get 240 ish

Is that not going to trip my RCD?

Edit- I suppose it would prove there is power to the socket!!

Last edited:
I'll give it a go, but as you say, probably disconnected, given the downstairs sockets were had updated faceplates and dedicated circuits, and there isn't one for this socket, but as always with older houses, expect the unexpected!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back