Range cooker connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am intending to fit a new range cooker, the combined power rating of the ovens & hob is 14.8kW, this is about a max current rating of up to 61 Amps in my book.

I intend to fit a 63 Amp 30mamp RCD in my consumer unitto replace the current 40 Amp cooker one currently installed.

My question is... Is this OK, if so I can't locate a cooker switch unit for this current rating or a cooker outlet socket.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
14.8kw :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thats a lot of cooking power!

I think a 63A RCD is overkill. I would use a 50Amp MCB.

Why were you going to use an RCD? Electricians usually advise against RCDs on cooker circuits.

Unless there's a socket on the CCU, but they advise against this too :LOL: since sockets in kitchens usually require RCD protection!

Thanks Crafty

I spec'd a RCD as this was recommended in the installation manual for the range, I thought it was odd but what the hey!.

I very much doubt we will ever use all the hob and ovens at once, but shouldn't the breaker be able to cope with the possibility?

Your help is much appreciated

Bob :p

What size is the cable feeding the cooker? It is no good fitting a protection device with a current level higher than the cable is rated and could be dangerous.
TA122 said:
I intend to fit a 63 Amp 30mamp RCD in my consumer unitto replace the current 40 Amp cooker one currently installed.
You do realise that a RCD only gives earth leakage protection and over-current protection is also required ie. RCD+MCB or RCBO?
What about diversity? and you realise it is notifiable work unless you or someone else self-certifies.

Sponsored Links
I'd be more concerned about the existing cable size.....?

You don't mention what this is?????

TT

thanks for the feedback.

I intend to run a new cable (10mm) for the cooker from the consumer unit.

I understand it is notifiable and I will be putting a plan into the local council before I start. I am a member of the IEE so I qualify to do the work as long as the council certify it afterwards according to part P (Or so I understand) - let me know if I'm wrong - but I'm sure the council will do that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back