Rant about builders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, but I need to rant.

Bought a house 3 years ago, used builders etc on 6 different occasions. Each time I picked a mid range quote, with great reviews on mybuilder and checkatrade. All quotes written down etc.

Each time the work was sub optimal, aggressive responses afterwards and I am genuinely scared to leave a bad review. On one occasion I left 10/10 review because the guy asked me to and I was too afraid to refuse.

That is why I do most of work around the house by myself, but some things cannot be done...

Sponsored Links
really? I thought those website were good!? how else are people advertising their trade?

Sponsored Links
Ive just been reading stories about mybuilder etc and bloody hell, its so scary! so many people in my boat!

really? I thought those website were good!? how else are people advertising their trade?

Absolutely not. All decent builders are booked up for months.

Try getting a bad review published on those sites. You can’t

really? I thought those website were good!?
no they arent good, good, experienced tradesmen dont want or need to pay for lead generation but people who are new to the trade or chancers do.

there is a shortage of trades around the country and experienced tradesmen get their work from recommendation only

Ive currently got a plumber fitting a new heating system, he is a great guy, but he doesnt advertise and is nowhere on the internet, he has been a plumber for 30+ years. My wife got his name from one of her piano pupils.

If you want a good tradesman you need to do a bit of networking: ask around your neighbours and friends, maybe go to your local independent merchants and ask, or have a look at any extensions going up in your area -if you stop and ask the builder he might recommend somebody: builders use sub contractors like electricians, plumbers, plasterers all the time if they werent good they wouldnt use them

you could ask on your local facebook page or nextdoor -but you wont know whether the recommendations are genuine or not -if you get quite a few recommends for the same person that is a good indication

Check a trade

In many cases it’s should be renamed
check a dic ??

I recently left a scathing review on some American car repair and custom site

I got several texts with in hours from the MD of the company

Told him to go and do one and that he was a waste of space and total lady’s Willy

Also informed him that I have written to the inland rev and the vat mob advising they should investigate his company

Those websites, make money of the people getting work, not the people paying for the work.

Ive currently got a plumber fitting a new heating system, he is a great guy, but he doesnt advertise and is nowhere on the internet, he has been a plumber for 30+ years. My wife got his name from one of her piano pupils.
What do you now about plumbing? Weather it's a good job or not? What does a pianist know anything about plumbing. She might know a good personality, but don't we all!

Most trades recommend BT builders will be shisters. No decent trade will work for a builder unless it's a decent builder. These are very rare.

Merchants will give a better recommendation. When you read reviews, you really need to read the reviews. Look for personalisation. The are plenty of fake reviews.

Last edited:
Any good builder will likely be booked up for months. They don't need to pay scam sites for leads. Don't bother with Checkatrade, etc - always recommendations from friends, neighbours, relations, colleagues, etc.

Sponsored Links
Back