Rate this Job! - Cooker Hood / Extractor Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday - I hired an electrician to install this: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/house...cooker-hood-stainless-steel-10164704-pdt.html

I always get the opinion of fellow diynot forum members, before any job is accepted (by me) & signed off (due to terrible terrible experiences in the past).

Electrician's back on Monday to fit covering panel on top of the hood, covering the pipe & socket from view.

Rate this job:

A.jpg
B.jpg
C.jpg
D.jpg
E.jpg
F.jpg
G.jpg
H.jpg

Images below - take a look but ignore temp black bag around pipe - and temp plastic bag inside it. More on this below.

I.jpg
J.jpg

Health & safety of my family is paramount.

Second is protecting the long term reliance/viability of the cooker hood - so I get a fair number of years from it.

Note: I'll be fitting the gravity flap grille outside today. Here is the thread about it:

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/masonary-bodge-job-–-advice-needed-hole-too-large.499953/

I am not worried about that aspect, so please ignore that part.

So - If this was the install done at your house:

Is the job good? How would you rate it?

What changes or improvements would you recommend/require/demand, before accepting the job as done (competently)?

My family's thanks, to any willing to explore & discuss this install, to get it right.

SL.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The only part I did (weeks ago) - enlarged the hole in the wall - 100mm to 150mm.

Literally everything else = electricians work.

Sponsored Links
socket should be above the concealed cable run

Picture 5 is a bit blurry, but I believe there is a grey T&E visible too, presumably going down to the cooker outlet, then coming back up in the white cable, so it is in a safe zone (i.e. a very short, horizontal zone of it's own, linking to it's own vertical safe zone).

Picture 5 is a bit blurry, but I believe there is a grey T&E visible too, presumably going down to the cooker outlet, then coming back up in the white cable, so it is in a safe zone (i.e. a very short, horizontal zone of it's own, linking to it's own vertical safe zone).
See what you mean, that would be handy however from the other photos I think that's just a previous area that a cable was chased in. but perhaps the OP will clarify.

See what you mean, that would be handy however from the other photos I think that's just a previous area that a cable was chased in. but perhaps the OP will clarify.
I have to say that, whatever the words of regulations might 'actually/strictly say', in pragmatic terms I would say that a cable visibly entering a wall and visibly travelling vertically downwards created a 'safe zone' every bit as good/'effective' (in some senses even better!) than any accessory would ever create!

Kind Regards, John

A) When asked - He said that an independent isolation switch was unnecessary for this cooker hood - is that correct?

B) He's coiled the wire up and rested it ontop of the cooker hood - is this anything to be concerned about?

c) The tape used - is that okay for the task?

A) When asked - He said that an independent isolation switch was unnecessary for this cooker hood - is that correct?
There is no regulatory requirement for any local isolation switch. Unplugging the hood would provide the ultimate in 'isolation' (e.g. for doing work on it).
B) He's coiled the wire up and rested it ontop of the cooker hood - is this anything to be concerned about?
I wouldn't have thought so - I don't think it will get excessively hot. If you were really concerned, I suppose you could slip a bit of wood or suchlike under it.
c) The tape used - is that okay for the task?
What task did he use it for?

Kind Regards, John

I've not seen a Stuffing glad used like that before on a Surface mounted plastic box, at least it stops the cable from being pushed out when the plug face plate is screwed back on.

I'd maybe use either some cement or expanding foam to stop any ingress of water/insects where ther cover plate goes on outside.

It's not that obvious who did what.
It needs filling/making good, otherwise I'd be ok

What task the tape was designed to be used for ('what it says on the tin') and what task it was actually used for are not necessarily the same thing, particularly when a question about the 'suitability for the task' of a product designed "for sealing joints of a ventilation duct" is asked in an 'Electrics' forum.

I was actually pondering, with some degree of trepidation, what 'electrical' tasks it might have been used for!

Literally everything else = electricians work.
I wonder if he also works building sets for film/TV productions?

If not, he should, because he has done a stonkingly good job of making it look as if this hole in the wall and the cable coming out of it have been there for quite some time:

upload_2018-6-30_17-50-28.png
upload_2018-6-30_17-51-18.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back