Rate this Job! - Cooker Hood / Extractor Install

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Not even commercial grade extractors used in restaurants capture 'All'.
Interestingly I assumed that too, and it's probably strictly true, nonetheless we made a home made cooker hood with a 2 inch thick SS mesh grease filter, and even though the filter underside is thick with grease, I removed the fan and couldn't feel any grease on the internals of the (expensive) plastic fan directly above. Smells and humidity pass through to be dealt with by the heat recovery system, but I suspect commercial grade filters are 100 times better than domestic ones. Just thought it might be of interest.

Pic's of the wiring loom - as pulled/removed by the electrician - from the top of the previous extractor hood (canopy):

J.jpg
K.jpg
L.jpg
M.jpg
N.jpg
O.jpg
P.jpg
Q.jpg
R.jpg

Beginning to suspect that some of the posters on this thread have recognised what might be their own work - and are covering/diverting with bluster???

Q: Should a competent hood install - bring this much grease/oil/contaminants so close to (and directly upon) electrical contacts that are hooked into the households mains? Why is there any grease on the loom at all, if the install was done right?

The loom you see here, drew its power from a plug - plugged directly into the a socket whose location can be seen in the initial pic's.

Make up your own minds.

Beginning to suspect that some of the posters on this thread have recognised what might be their own work - and are covering/diverting with bluster???
try to be constructive, if you see someone behaving like an idiot, don't make it your problem too

Q: Should a competent hood install - bring this much grease/oil/contaminants so close to (and directly upon) electrical contacts that are hooked into the households mains? Why is there any grease on the loom at all, if the install was done right?
You tell me. If it's a decent hood and the filter is properly maintained, no major amount of grease should get out of the hood casing to anywhere.

Kind Regards, John

You tell me. If it's a decent hood and the filter is properly maintained, no major amount of grease should get out of the hood casing to anywhere.

Kind Regards, John

Well this might be surprising, but here we go:

Full circle - I say again - it was - infact, a 'Qualified Tradesman' that fitted the original.

I repeat - the extraction hose was not sealed to the canopy using any tape or seal. The top of the extractor was obsured by a panel - so we could not see it. We 'trusted the trades-person - would not put us at risk'.

Oh and by the way - the other professional trade person - that made our kitchen extension then conservatory - wired that mains provision as a radial rather than a ring circuit on a 30amp fuse, with wire not up to the task (or so this same electrician is saying).

Maybe that's why checking any trade persons work nowadays (within reason) - on forums - is a fair response.

Pic's of the wiring loom - as pulled/removed by the electrician - from the top of the previous extractor hood (canopy):
Firstly, you said it was singed.
Secondly, if it was just 'on top of the hood' then I would get onto the cleaner. The tops of kitchen wall units will be covered in grease after a few years, let alone twenty, if you don't clean them. That's just how it is.

Perhaps some of them - how many do you think helped install it? - are recognising customers they don't bother with any longer.

How can it be done wrongly?
Hoods are just boxes with a hole at the top; either ducted to outside or open with filtered recirculating air.

The loom you see here, drew its power from a plug - plugged directly into the a socket whose location can be seen in the initial pic's.
So - where did the grease come from? Did the electrician install it in that condition?
If not, then it must be yours.
I will admit it seems ridiculously long and that gooey tape should not have been used.

Make up your own minds.
I think we have.

That quantity of cable was obviously for rather more than just an extractor, and the various taped connections are clearly unsatisfactory.
There is some oil/grease - but not really surprising if that lot has been on top of some kitchen cupboards for years/decades.

This thread is also one of those where the whole story is never told, it's just a drip, drip, drip of tiny pieces as and when to serve some unknown purpose.

As for the 'new' install - someone changed a socket and plugged an extractor in. Nothing apparently wrong with it, and entirely unclear why an electrician was involved in the first place.

Beginning to suspect that some of the posters on this thread have recognised what might be their own work

hqdefault.jpg

I repeat - the extraction hose was not sealed to the canopy using any tape or seal.
Did it fit snugly?

The top of the extractor was obsured by a panel - so we could not see it. We 'trusted the trades-person - would not put us at risk'.
So - you never got up there to clean it.

Oh and by the way - the other professional trade person - that made our kitchen extension then conservatory - wired that mains provision as a radial rather than a ring circuit on a 30amp fuse, with wire not up to the task (or so this same electrician is saying).
Is it the same electrician or not?

If it is, have it out with him.

I cannot comment on whether the circuit was satisfactory or not without knowing the details.

Maybe that's why checking any trade persons work nowadays (within reason) - on forums - is a fair response.
The new install looks fine.
In twenty years it might be filthy and falling to pieces.

I have to say that I'm having some difficulty in working out what electrical work the electrician actually did - other than plugging the hood into an existing socket. What have I missed?

Kind Regards, John

There was a wall, a hole, and the original wiring loom. There was a socket - that when opened - had grease inside.

He went to the fusebox first to isolate the kitchen. He decided to have a look inside the fusebox - to ensure there were no issues in being able to isolate the kitchen ring. He found the kitchen and convservatory were on a radial only - hooked into a 30amp fuse - and that the existing wiring was not rated for that.

Then - in the kitchen - He inspect the loom. Told me the edges looked signed. Inspected the connections - asked me what might have caused the grease contamination of the contacts.

I explained at the pipe was not sealed to the extractor hood (previous one was the thin plastic flexible type) there must have been some blow back on top of the hood withing the confined area of that box - thats why - within a sealed/closed cover box - grease somehow coated the inside of the sides and the top of the unit.

He removed the loom, changed the socket, front plate and back. He attached the gland and wired it up.

He then measured and fitted the extractor to the wall.

He then taped the collar to the reducer. Fitted the reducer. He then bent the pipe - test fitted it - and then made the seals good.

He then went outside and cut off the excess pipe.

He then went to the fuse-box and took a closer look for any other problems as to other areas of the house.

I repeat - the extraction hose was not sealed to the canopy using any tape or seal. The top of the extractor was obsured by a panel - so we could not see it. We 'trusted the trades-person - would not put us at risk'.
And I also repeat - if it was a decent extractor hood with a decent filter that was properly maintained, nothing but relatively clean air should come of the unit into the 'hose' - so even if it was not sealed, that in itself should not result in much grease 'escaping'. Let's face it, 'recirculating' extra hoods don't even have an 'extractor hose'.

The tops of kitchen cabinets get 'orrible and greasy/filthy after a few years of neglect, so I don't think that 'behind the panel' is any exception to that. It's an environment where regular thorough cleaning (and not just of the bits that are obviously visible) is essential.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back