Rated People

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was just browsing the Ratedpeople.com site (as you do) and something caught my eye in the diy guides electric section.

http://www.ratedpeople.com/c/advice/diy-guides/guides-electrics

Now I'm no electrician, but aren't they giving somewhat misleading advice? For example, under "adding a power socket" they say:

"8. Make sure each wire is connected to the corresponding terminal. The black wire connects to the neutral terminal; the red wire connects to the live terminal, and the blue wire to the ground terminal"

and under "replacing a plug":

"7. Once the insulation is removed, you should see the three different colours of wires: red, brown or yellow/green and blue. The different coloured wires represent the three types of wire: earth, live and neutral"

As for replacing a light switch....

http://www.ratedpeople.com/c/advice...s-electrics-lighting/replacing-a-light-switch

Is it me, or are they are a tad confused?

Sponsored Links
Well, when they say things like this:

"Projects dealing with electricity should not be undertaken by anyone who is not qualified to Part P regulation standards, the government standards covering electrical safety."

I think it's clear that they don't really know much about the subject.

This:

http://www.ratedpeople.com/c/advice/trade-insights/insights-electrics/part-p-building-regulation

contains so many errors it's a joke. I especially like the bit about having to use a "part P qualified electrician" to carry out EICRs and PAT testing!

Last edited:
Most of it has probably been copied from somewhere else and amended by someone who had no knowledge of the subject.

The light switch section is more applicable to USA type switches where the cover plate is a separate piece and the wires are wrapped around screw terminals.

No idea where they get blue as earth, although they call it 'ground' which supports it being copied from some USA website, yet the USA does not use blue as ground.

"The light switch should have two electrical wires attached to it; these are the ‘on and off’ wires"

hahahahaha!

Sponsored Links
You'll be surprised to know they have the bonding wrong as well:

"As a general rule, if you can touch an electrical appliance or switch at the same time as touching absolutely anything at all with metal on it, it needs to be attached to the main earthing wire to ensure it is safe and the risk of electric shocks are reduced."

I have sent my comments to

Adam Walker

Good morning Please fell free to drop me an email at the address below and I will try and help out.
Regards Adam Walker

Please tell us what he says if he gets back to you.

(I'm not holding my breath).

Oh - and you may not be surprised to learn that this is probably another example of a scenario where I believe that those who facilitate should be made to accept full legal responsibility for the performance of the businesses they make money out of by providing facilitating services.

Natalie White *****
May 22 at 3:56 PM
To
Bernard Green
Message body
Thanks for your email. I'm currently on leave, due to return on Monday 23rd May.
This inbox will be unmonitored in my absence.
For urgent enquiries, please contact *****. Otherwise, I'll pick up your email on my return.
Kind regards,
Natalie White
Digital Content Executive - Rated People

I take the attitude if some one needs a site like rated people then they are likely not much good. After my daughters experience I realise good tradesmen get work by word of mouth, bad tradesmen lose work by word of mouth so need some other scam to bring in fresh work. Like the scheme operators it is rare the rated people and like ever expel workmen for poor workmanship and unlike the scheme operators they seem to be completely uninterested in any complaints it is nothing more than a group advertising campaign.

ms White replied and said:
we’ve had discussions very recently about reviewing the content in the DIY Guides and making sure that it’s both up to date and accurate. Your points about the content posing a safety risk is concerning and will be acted upon.

Hi all,

As Bernard very kindly shared, we've been discussing reviewing our DIY Guides and making sure that the content is up to date and accurate. The comments around the content being a safety risk is concerning and action will be taken to address this.

We’re currently undergoing a big project to overhaul a lot of our content – a lot of this relates to the guides mentioned in this thread. We’re always keen to work with tradespeople to help build a better service. We meet them, survey them and listen to the feedback they give. If you're a qualified tradesperson and you'd like to help us with this, please do get in touch with me. We'll be reviewing everything from electrical guides to gardening guides, so if you're an expert in those areas, we'd love to hear from you. The best advice will always come from tradespeople who put the work into practice. To make sure that the content is as accurate as possible and that we're taking steps to mitigate safety risks, we would of course need proof that you're qualified to offer advice in any given area.

Kind regards,
Natalie at Rated People

+++++++++++++++++++++
Moderator's note:
Contact links have been removed
//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/forum-rules-general-info.19448/
(rule 4)
+++++++++++++++++++++

How kind of you to offer, per your own business model - if you'd like to consider me, simply pay £30 and you can have my contact details!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back