rawl plugs not biting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Drilled tile for the shower rail, and drilled into wall behind.
Unfortunately the drill almost fell into the wall and the rawl plug is not gripping. I suspect the wall is just crumbling mortar behind.

WHats the best option?
I can try one of those stud wall fixings where the legs pul out, which will either grab the mortar to some degree, or the back of the tile worst case.

Or am I better trying to fill the hole through the tile with no more nails, sealent or whatever, waiting for the rawl plug to set in that and then trying again? If so, what is best to use?

Sorry, I know this is a fairly general question but as its through a tile and its already drilled I thought you guys must have come across this before.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You mention mortar.

If you are sure it is brick or block, and you have hit a crumbly bit:
- clean out dust from the hole with your hoover
- feel the hole with a long screw to see how deep and wide it is, and trial fit your plasplug (use the longest and widest one that will fit, I prefer brown ones, not the weedy free ones that come with bathroom accessories)
- put the nozzle of NoMoreNails or similar adhesive deep into the hole
- fill the hole from the back, slowly withdrawing the nozzle so there is no air bubble at the back
- push in your plasplug, using a long screw into it by just a couple of turns as a handle
- leave it overnight to set
- drive your screw in, choosing one long enough to go at least an inch into the wall, disregarding the thickness of tile and plaster.

If the wall is plasterboard, this method will not work.

p.s.
Unless you found them in your great-granddad's shed, you are not using rawlplugs.

Thanks.
No, it is breeze block I think, but has been drilled several times before I think.
I'm actually using frame fixings, rather than actual wallplugs as I had already realised the wall wasn't great, but even they dont grip.

ANother option is:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-polyester-resin-175ml/53359

Not come across this before but may be an option and just as cheap as NMN.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back