Rayburn 480k MK11 WIRING PROBLEM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the above Rayburn, after engineers did some work on it I find that the central heating side comes on of it's own accord and pays no attention to the programmer. The only way I can get the central heating to stay of is to switch to Hot Water Only. Any idea where they have gone wrong with the wiring ? The until works well only I does not come on and off via the programmer.

Sponsored Links
There are a number of ways these can be wired/ configured depending on what controls you have installed. Before anyone can advise we need to know:

Do you have a room thermostat?
Do you have a cylinder thermostat?
Do you have a 3 port mid position valve or 2 2 port valves?
Do you have a frost thermostat?

What work was carried out on the Rayburn?
Can you not get the engineers back if they stopped it working?

The wiring on a Rayburn is totally different to what you would expect from a normal Y plan. You cannot have heating on its own, only with hot water. Get your engineers back. They need to follow the wiring from the the junction box adjacent to the burner. A common mistake is to wire in the hot water off connection to the wrong connection. Are you using a separate programmer instead of the built in one. If it is two channel, this is wrong, it should only be a single channel for the heating and hot water and you isolate the heating with the selector switch on the Rayburn.

I have a room thermostat
I have a cylinder thermostat
I have a 3 port mid position valve or 2 2 port valves
The engineer were repairing a leaking tank in the Rayburn, however they will not be back as it turned out they welded the old tank and there is now an issue between them and Rayburn regarding warranty !!!
Thanks for the reply
Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/rayburn-480k-mk11-wiring-problem.451893/#ixzz3yiUyOIUA

Sponsored Links
480K Mk II under Warranty? At this age, Rayburn would not want anything to do with it. Is this a reconditioned unit?

Simple things first, the CH/HW channel isn't just set to constant is it?
Are the cooker times woking ok?
I have a 3 port mid position valve or 2 2 port valves
Which valve(s)? If you have a 3 port valve the connections etc. are very different to an installation with 2x 2 port valves.

Your correct about the age of the Rayburn which we have had since new, but the warranty was on the new parts which were supposed to have come from Rayb
urn but didn't.
For HW we can adjust the temperature if that's what you mean. The cooker times are working correctly.
How will I know if it's 2 or 3 port? I switch to hot water or central heating and hot water.
Thanks again

Can you take a picture of your wiring block in the burner compartment? Is there a wire in the hot water off terminal. Despite its nomenclature, this should only be used to connect a frost thermostat. I suspect this is where your problem lies.

There is one red wire going into the H/W OFF. It comes from a cable that has a black wife cut back and not used, only the red is used for the H/W OFF.

From the top
N spare not used
SW/L Boiler green/yellow
HTG ON blue
H/W OFF RED
H/W ON BROWN
PN Neutral BROWN
PL Live BLUE

Those colours don't mean much, without knowing where they go to, but from your description and the choice of colours used I expect the wiring to be very poorly installed. If you have a copy of the Rayburn installation manual you should be able to trace each wire and match them up with the 3 port wiring diagram, to see if the wires are all present and connected to the correct terminals. If they are correctly connected there could be a fault with one of the external parts.

Can you post some photos of the wiring? It's always useful to see and may show up a glaring wiring error.

DSCF0589.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF0590.JPG
    DSCF0590.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 645

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back