Rayburn 480K mk2 programer problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I would be grateful for any advice on the following problem:

My Rayburn 480K MK2 with Nu-way burners has a programmer with three sliders to control timer set, boiler and cooker with the last two having a light to the right hand side to indicate operation, from research it appears to be pre 1997 standard.

Since Xmas the programmer trips intermittently such as the light goes out, the time display blanks and the heating/hot water stops. There is no consistency in when it trips, flame burning or not, hot water being demanded or not, period of operation before tripping ect. Sometime it will behave for several hours other times trip several times in an hour. Turning the power off and on at the fuse “resets” the programmer and the boiler fires up again.

The boiler also runs the wet under floor heating in the kitchen (it has a separate wall mounted programmer) but the Rayburn programmer issues do not affect this at all, continues operating with no problems.

I have not yet removed the programmer to take a look, are there any “serviceable” parts on it?

Any pointer re the above or recommended service engineers near Ludlow or sources of replacement second hand programmers would be appreciated, new programmers which are a different size so need a new mounting plate are approx 300 pounds…

Thanks and regards,

Nopedigree

Sponsored Links
Disconnect the integral programmer and fit an external programmer to control HW and heating, with an external on/off switch for the oven?

Do not fit a standard Honeywell ST699, which is what you think you may have. In no time at all, you will lose the display because the ambient temperature is too high for the standard ST699. Fit a remote unit, cheaper and more reliable.

Thank you both for you input.
Oilhead you are correct that it was a st699 re branded as Rayburn, many thanks for that info it allowed me to do a lot more searching.
Bottom line is I have secured a replacement ST699 for 40 pounds after finding out that the design has not changed after 20 plus years so it was a 5 minute job to remove the old "front" and snap back in the new one, no alteration/disturbance to wiring at all as the interface of front panel to back plate (where the wiring is) is by spring loaded contacts.
Fitting a remote unit would involve a lot of work and the controls on display would not go down well with the other half...... The old programmer had a label dated 1996 inside, if the replacement lasts half the time I will be more than happy.

Cheers,

Nopedigree

Sponsored Links
The Rayburn version allegedly had a higher temperature rating than the standard Honeywell. You may find you lose the display quite quickly, but good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back