RCBO prices

Sponsored Links
Has anyone had any negative experiences with CHINT products.

Yes.

They are absouloutly disgusting build quality.

thats the trouble with RF,he never says what he means :LOL:

Can RF elaborate on the build issue with CHINT. Surely 3rd party approvals to the major European test houses together with the fact they are the 3rd largest LV manufacturer in the World is prove that their products have been passed for Quality.

Don't get me started with chitty espensive factors!

The blokes in my local one need a bleedin personality transplant. Last time I went in I asked for a split load 'TT board', reply was eh? You know, dual time delayed rcd board, like is often used with TT systems, then greeted with the reply of 'I'm not an electrician mate' Great.

Can RF elaborate on the build issue with CHINT.

Certainly.

I've only ever fitted one ot those CUs as a customer supplied it (kind of speaks volumes).
I have vowed never to use one again.

From the one I fitted I noticed the following

They look and feel cheap.
The case is too thin and flimsy, meaning if you mount the CU on an uneven wall the cover will not fit.
The plastic cover screws are arkward to line up with the pegs on back part, and end up snapping
The lillte perspex cover sticks half way open / closed
The busbars and neutral links are too small.
The thread strips on the screws of the main switch.
The earth bar drops out of the casing when you try and fit a 16.0mm² earth.
There is not enough room to keep your work inside the CU tidy
There is not a large enough range of CUs
There is not a large enough range of OCPDs
The plastic half dinrail breaks
The half DIN rail means you cant install clocks and contactors
It is impossile to route tails into the cu from the bottom half of eiter side
The CU is not supplied with backed out screws
MCBs are not supplied with backed out screws
CUs are not supplied with a good selection of circuit ID stickers

Why do you think you NEVER see chint installed in commercial properties?

Surely 3rd party approvals to the major European test houses together with the fact they are the 3rd largest LV manufacturer in the World is prove that their products have been passed for Quality.

Nope.

Lada cars were passed for quality. Doesn't mean they were any good.

Stick with (in no particular order)

Merlin Gerin
Square D
MEM
MK
Hager

They actually make quality products, and don't need to tout their products on an internet forum to get their sales up.

Sponsored Links
Can RF elaborate on the build issue with CHINT.

Certainly.

I've only ever fitted one ot those CUs as a customer supplied it (kind of speaks volumes).
I have vowed never to use one again.

From the one I fitted I noticed the following

The case is too thin and flimsy, meaning if you mount the CU on an uneven wall the cover will not fit.
The plastic cover screws are arkward to line up with the pegs on back part, and end up snapping
The lillte perspex cover sticks half way open / closed
The busbars and neutral links are too small.
The thread strips on the screws of the main switch.
There is not a large enough range of CUs
There is not a large enough range of OCPDs
The plastic half dinrail breaks
The half DIN rail means you cant install clocks and contactors
It is impossile to route tails into the cu from the bottom half of eiter side
The CU is not supplied with backed out screws
MCBs are not supplied with backed out screws

Blimey RF, I spose you ended up replacing the CU, since the cover didn't fit, and was loose because the screws were snapped, the perspex cover was half open, you had loose contacts on the main switch, the earth bar was hanging out, you had the wrong OCP devices fitted, the wiring was a mess, the din rail was broken and the labelling was inadequate ! :LOL:

Like RF I've only fitted a couple both at the same property & both supplied by customer :rolleyes:

Yep & when the customer tells you he only paid £20 on ebay for them you just know it's gonna look a bag of ****e .

Again gotta agree, unless the surface is dead flat you are stuffed. The likes of Wlex & co do have a bit of give, Hager are even better with the punched fixing lugs for uneven surfaces....Mr Chint might think about taking a look ;)

Yes the earth terminal kept falling out on one of the boards I fitted, that was without any conductors in it!. Ended up with a bit of gripfill to hold it in place.

With such a large & ugly looking cu I would have thought there was more room inside than there actually is, but again have to agree with RF ...working space is on the tight side.

To be honest I thought the selection were pants, so used circuit ID stickers leftover from a MEM cu installation done a few days before.

Stick with (in no particular order)

Merlin Gerin
Square D
MEM
MK
Hager

I concur, have changed alegance to Hager mostly as even electrium Wylex's build quality has dropped to that of their other brand Volex :( . Had 3 wylex mcb's that will not latch on one order & housings seem to have rough edges .

They actually make quality products, and don't need to tout their products on an internet forum to get their sales up.

Even the sheds dont sell the stuff :LOL:

They actually make quality products, and don't need to tout their products on an internet forum to get their sales up.[/quote]

I came across this forum and when I saw a listing that criticised the Quality of
a manufacturer that we sold I was keen to get some constructive criticism. No touting involved, RF, you are a cheeky boy :evil:

I will forward your points to China as I am sure they would wish to make things better. Thanks

I will forward your points to China as I am sure they would wish to make things better. Thanks

Well that explains why they are cheap poor quality products, & have all of the problems that RF & comms said about :!:

:D :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :LOL:

As RF said MEM & MK are good products, Wylex & Crabtree are also ok.

And they are made in the UK

edit

Who is the cheapest supplier for MK RCBOs at the moment, as I will need to buy 13 RCBOs (1x45A(for cooker circuit), 4x32A(for 4 ring circuits), 1x20A(for a radial socket circuit) , 3x16A(for 3 radial circuits) & 4x6A(for 4 lighting circuits)), for when I install the new MK 19 way CU at home.

I always mount my boards on boards, if u c what I mean....

Then theys is always flat!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back