RCBO terminal doesn’t align with others

Sponsored Links
I had exactly the same problem with Domae and as others have mentioned that was the 3ph boards Vs domestic CU's, the big giveaway is the longer wires.

Sponsored Links
Indeed it has, and as I wrote, it’s changing to pink in sep 2020
By virtue of what (regulations or whatever)? Table 51 of BS7671:2018 gives the colour as cream, and I'm not aware that it is going to be amended by/in September 2020.

Kind Regards, John

There is a corrigendum which has been issued (Dec 2018), which lists the eleven corrections to be made to bs7671 https://electrical.theiet.org/media/2063/bs-7671-2018-corrigendum-dec-2018.pdf
Thanks - I was not aware of that.

However, that corrigendum appears to indicate that "Cream" will change to "Cream/Pink" - which I take (correctly or incorrectly!) to mean that either colour will be acceptable after September 2020 (whereas currently only cream is acceptable). Do I take it that you are interpreting it differently?

Kind Regards, John

BS EN 60445 doesn't mention cream so i assume that cream will no longer be acceptable.

To quote from BS EN 60445:

6 Identification by colours
6.1 General

For identification of conductors, the following colours are permitted: BLACK, BROWN, RED, ORANGE, YELLOW, GREEN, BLUE, VIOLET, GREY, WHITE, PINK, TURQUOISE.
NOTE This list of colours is derived from IEC 60757.

Although pink is also a line colour so its even more confusing from 2020!!

BS EN 60445 doesn't mention cream so i assume that cream will no longer be acceptable.
Maybe, but as I read it, as of September 2020, the post-corrigendum BS7671 will read "Cream/Pink"!

To quote from BS EN 60445:
6 Identification by colours
6.1 General

For identification of conductors, the following colours are permitted: BLACK, BROWN, RED, ORANGE, YELLOW, GREEN, BLUE, VIOLET, GREY, WHITE, PINK, TURQUOISE.
NOTE This list of colours is derived from IEC 60757.
Hmmm. Is that meant to be a general statement applying to the identification of all conductors (including protective ones)? If so, will we no longer be allowed to use G/Y after September 2020 ?!!

However, since that would be a daft suggestion, if the list of acceptable colours for 'conductor identification' specified in 6.1 of BS EN 60445 does not actually apply to protective conductors, might it also not apply to 'functional earths'?

Kind Regards, John

BS EN 60445 only refers to functional earth colours, not general wiring colours.

indeed the chapter 51 amendment shows protective earth as green and yellow.

As i understand it, according to BE EN 60445, all functional earths will now require a pink functional earth lead from sep 2020

"6.2.5 Functional earthing conductor
For colour marking of a functional earthing conductor the preferred colour is PINK."

BS EN 60445 only refers to functional earth colours, not general wiring colours.
I'm getting confused! You are surely not saying that that list of 12 colours given in 6.1 of 60445 are all appropriate for functional earths??

In fact, that list is the same as the BS7671 list of acceptable colours for "Control circuits, ELV and other applications", plus blue and green!
As i understand it, according to BE EN 60445, all functional earths will now require a pink functional earth lead from sep 2020
"6.2.5 Functional earthing conductor
For colour marking of a functional earthing conductor the preferred colour is PINK."
That sounds clear enough - but, as I've said, if I'm reading the corrigendum correctly, come September BS EN 60445 and BS 7671 will say rather different things - since it looks as if BS 7671 will then say "Cream/Pink", with no expressed preference for either of those colours.

Kind Regards, John

I'm getting confused! ..... You are surely not saying that that list of 12 colours given in 6.1 of 60445 are all appropriate for functional earths?? .... Since it looks as if BS 7671 will then say "Cream/Pink", with no expressed preference for either of those colours.

Kind Regards, John

Surely a more sensible way of eliminating ambiguity - if that was the intent - would have been to use the term "... Cream or Pink..."

Surely a more sensible way of eliminating ambiguity - if that was the intent - would have been to use the term "... Cream or Pink..."
Yes, that would eliminate any possible ambiguity, but I would imagine that the great majority would interpret "Cream/Pink" and meaning the same as "Cream or Pink" - although maybe a troublesome minority would interpret it as meaning "Cream and Pink stripes" (as in G./Y)!!

Happy New Year to all!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back