Are consumer units a standard fitting inside?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just wondering if the sizing of a consumer unit's mounting rails are standard i.e. If I bought an MK consumer unit, would a Crabtree RCBO fit in it, or must I use all MK breakers too?

I ask because I'm considering buying more ways than I need and blanking them off, rather than filling it up with RCBOs I don't have a use for right now..

Sponsored Links
No, far from it. Most MCBs/RCBO's are different heights, have different terminal hole sizes and locations, the depth of them is different and most of all, manufacturers do not type test other brands in their boards, so whilst it may fit, if you have a problem, it's not MK's problem.

A photo I pinched from RF
full

and some of mine
Notice the different width in the old MCB in the middle, means the new Eaton MCBs/RCBO's do not fit the old MEM busbar without filing it down, and even then because of the height difference, you would get very little copper contact

That last pic: they're not sparks, they're butchers.:eek:

Sponsored Links
Lol. Right. Maybe I should just get a garage CU for now (I'm going to get my spark to put me some temp lights and power sockets as I'm not quite finished first fix) and get a fully RCBO populated cu when I actually know what I'm having, and reuse the garage cu for the garage...

Lol. Right. Maybe I should just get a garage CU for now (I'm going to get my spark to put me some temp lights and power sockets as I'm not quite finished first fix) and get a fully RCBO populated cu when I actually know what I'm having, and reuse the garage cu for the garage...

In general you don't need a CU in the garage.

I suppose I could work it out now.. Could someone please confirm my amperages below (nearly all method 100 or 102)?

I've 4 ring finals maybe 5 on 2.5 - 32a
3 lighting radials 1.5 - 6a
Electric shower 9kw 10mm - 40a
Induction hob/cooker circuit 5kw max (method a) 10mm - 32a
Double oven 7k 10mm - 32a
Garage 10mm -32 a
Immersion 3kw 4 mm - 16a
Possible air source heat pump 6kw 10mm - 32a
Fire alarm - mcb only? - 6a

So I'm looking at 15ish ways..

The garage one, I've got a 10sqmm cable, non armoured in a duct going out to detached garage. Should I put it on an RCBO for its max ccc out to the garage and then when it gets there split it to sockets and lights using another cu/box wih mcb rated for each circuit in the garage? I ask you these questions not because I'm doing it, but because I'm going to screw fix before my sparky wakes up..

Last edited:
The more lmportant thing now is that you are using a metal cu so it will still be complient in jan. and you are using a decent brand.
And it will be big enough

Why? he will likely have an Electricfix account and get everything cheaper.

I've got an electric fix account, and a 10percent off voucher (which he can't use), and I'm awake whereas he was out on the lash last night and will probably not wake up before screw fix shuts..

about that amendment 3 thing.. So all CUs installed after jan 1 must be fireproof, what if it's installed before, but the test and sign off comes after? Just wondering when the "date of installation" actually is

I suppose I could work it out now.. Could someone please confirm my amperages below (nearly all method 100 or 102)?

Garage 10mm -32 a
Immersion 3kw 4 mm - 16a

The garage one, I've got a 10sqmm cable, non armoured in a duct going out to detached garage. Should I put it on an RCBO for its max ccc out to the garage and then when it gets there split it to sockets and lights using another cu/box wih mcb rated for each circuit in the garage? I ask you these questions not because I'm doing it, but because I'm going to screw fix before my sparky wakes up..

Garage 10mm -32 a
Immersion 3kw 4 mm - 16a

A 9kW shower does not need 10mm cable, 6mm will do.
Induction hob/cooker 5kW does not need 10mm cable, 4mm will do.
Double oven 7kW does not need 10mm cable, 4mm will do.
3kW imersion heater does not need 3mm cable, 2.5mm is normal, 1.5mm is also OK.
Air source heat pump 6kW does not need 10mm cable, 4mm will do.

Do the planet a favour, not to mention your wallet, and save some copper.

I've already told you a garage does not need a separate CU. Wire direct to sockets and lights through a FCU.

In general you don't need a CU in the garage.

It depends on what the garage is used for. If power tools are being used in the garage then the arrangement of protective devices should ensure that lighting is NOT lost if a socket circuit trips an over current or earth leakage device.

What do you do with a spinning angle grinder when you are suddenly and without warning plunged into darkness ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back