Consumer unit.

Yup, another viable option. Although I have literally never installed a wired doorbell. Ripped out a fair few, repaired some. But never installed one. I don't know what sales figures are actually like, but I suspect they're not long for this world.
I can't say I've installed any sort of doorbell for a very long time! Are you saying that they are now all battery-powered? Even if 'wireless', they must get their power from somewhere, even if the bell push(es) communicate with 'the bell' wirelessly.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I can't say I've installed any sort of doorbell for a very long time! Are you saying that they are now all battery-powered? Even if 'wireless', they must get their power from somewhere, even if the bell push(es) communicate with 'the bell' wirelessly
Just a plug in bell with a battery powered bell push. They're obviously never going to be as reliable as a wired bell push, but, there's a lot more flexibility (people don't just want a bell noise anymore). And you can move the bell to suit much easier than you could with a wired one.

I was helping a friend renovate a house many years ago. I arrived one day and he asked me if it was safe to remove the wire to the bell push, as it was stapled to a door frame in a wall he was about to demolish. Not a problem, I thought - it'll be no more than 12 V, so I just grabbed the bell wire and yanked hard. There was a shower of sparks, and the house went dark... The bell push had been wired in the 240V side of the transformer!

Sponsored Links
with T+E on the secondary side to a surface lightswitch outside the CU, and then bell wire from there to the bell. Gets around the segregation issue,

I've seen that situation get knocked back by an ECA inspector because the switch is 230V AC and the tranny output was not.

with T+E on the secondary side to a surface lightswitch outside the CU, and then bell wire from there to the bell. Gets around the segregation issue,

I've seen that situation get knocked back by an ECA inspector because the switch is 230V AC and the tranny output was not.
Yea i can see that. I wouldn't do it personally either

I don't think it is a matter of warranty John, the reason for type testing is safety!
So, putting aside for a moment the very real issue of bus-bar alignment compatibility, if you have say, a Hager CU, and you put a Siemens MCB in it, what safety risks are there?

Feel free to get real.

there's a lot more flexibility (people don't just want a bell noise anymore)
In what way does a different sound work better to alert people to the fact that there is someone outside who wants them to open the door?

How many people actually want a switch anyway? Easy enough to just go from T&E to bell wire and put a blank plate on the front. Or drill a blank plate to take a suitable DC-rated toggle switch if you really want it.

Yea i can see that. I wouldn't do it personally either
Surely the switch rating tells you the maximum voltage it can be used for, not the minimum?

I assumed the reference was to using a power supply unit to provide DC output rather than just a straight transformer to get AC, hence my comment above. Certainly if it's AC, no problem.

I assumed the reference was to using a power supply unit to provide DC output rather than just a straight transformer to get AC, hence my comment above. Certainly if it's AC, no problem.
I thought that (even in this day of SMTPSUs) 'bell transformers' were still just (AC->AC) 'straight transformers?

Kind Regards, John

So, putting aside for a moment the very real issue of bus-bar alignment compatibility, if you have say, a Hager CU, and you put a Siemens MCB in it, what safety risks are there? Feel free to get real.
Indeed - as you are aware, I have already made that very point (including the caveat about bus-bar alignment).

Kind Regards, John

]I thought that (even in this day of SMTPSUs) 'bell transformers' were still just (AC->AC) 'straight transformers?
Normally, yes. I assumed the inspector was rejecting the switch because it was an AC-only type and, for some reason, the unit was supplying DC, otherwise, as B-A-S has suggested, there is no technical reason for rejecting it. But maybe he just didn't have a clue!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back