RCBO tripping.

As you will presumably understand, my "opinion to the contrary" was expressed when I was assuming that "the burner" was just the burner (as it would be in my ancient gas boiler). We have now been told that "the burner" includes most of the electrical parts of the boiler, and so my opinion has obviously changed!

I'll let you off this time, but don't do it again :)

Too be fair I was unclear as well, hence why I asked..

Sponsored Links
I used to work a lot on these things, hence my username :) John :)
Fair enough.

As a matter of interest/intrigue, if you regard all the things you mentioned as being part of "the burner", then what parts within the boiler (other than the water-containing parts) do you not regard as being part of "the burner" ? :)

Kind Regards, John

... The burner in question!
Fair enough. In return, the old (long-since replaced, given the splits in their tops) "burners" from my ancient gas boiler - other than for the spark igniter (which has nothing to do with the 'electrical system'), nothing even remotely 'electrical' in sight :) ...

upload_2022-1-14_21-36-26.png

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Basically, the oil burner projects its flame directly onto a thick walled, water filled jacket.....hot gases from the combustion process make their way through baffles that slow the exhaust down and allow heat to be absorbed into the water jacket that is above the burner flame.
The burner is a complete unit that is made in one assembly, and all that is really needed maintenance wise is an oil pressure check, CO2 check and a clean with maybe a new oil nozzle every year. The baffles need to be extracted and any sulphur or soot deposits scraped away.
There isn’t anything else apart from a thermocouple that switches the burner of and on as the temperature rises and falls.
So, on my system there arent any two or three port valves.....the wall thermostat turns the circulating pump off and on and hot water is thermosyphonically produced courtesy of the indirect copper cylinder.
Crude? For sure but there is always plenty of hot water, the house is cosy and expenses are mimimal....perhaps 900 litres of kero per year are used.
John :)

Basically, the oil burner projects its flame directly onto a thick walled, water filled jacket.....hot gases from the combustion process make their way through baffles that slow the exhaust down and allow heat to be absorbed into the water jacket that is above the burner flame.
Fair enough - and the same is presumably essentially true for any boiler, using any fuel (e.g. my gas one).

The only issue, which caused me to offer an inappropriate opinion, is that what you regard as "the burner" (which we now know means 'the burner assembly') actually includes "...a 70w motor, control box and transformer igniter plus an oil supply solenoid..." - which is much more 'electrical' than I had envisaged from the word "burner".

Anyway, now is all clear, so we look forward to hearing how this issue develops, particularly if/when you replace the burner assembly.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back