rcd adaptor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just a quick question about an rcd adaptor a portable device which is plugged into a 13 amp socket.
i recently had a cordless drill battery charger melt and start to go on fire,would this rcd cut power to the charger.
or on christmas tree lights.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It depends on what the problem was, did you have the correct size fuse in the plug?

The rcd would only cut the power if there had been an inbalance in the load ie. if a component was shorting to neutral or to earth, but the fuse should have had the same effect, so I cannot say if the rcd would have tripped or not to be perfectly honest. Perhaps someone who is a bit brighter than me will come along later & give you a definitive answer.

Sponsored Links
Just had another thought. Were you using the charger connected to the mains or a generator?

A charger is double insulated (no earth), so would only trip if some current managed to flow from the neutral or live to earth via some other means - Like the charger being sat on a metal table :LOL:

The 3 amp fuse should have blow on overcurrent when the transformer began to go faulty. However, it may have been a component on the PCB failing, such as a capacitor, and these can just smoke and burn until they burn them selfs out.

Generally on a double insulated appliance, the current going into it equals the current going out both in normal service and during a fault. Therefore, an RCD can't trip ;)

Beat me to it I just thought about it again. I would still be interested to know if you were using a genni though.

on mains voltage.
do rcd not work if no earth as charger has a plastic pin for earth pin.
i think the battery decided to over charge and melt it into the charger.
original de walt product,i think it was just getting old,had it for 5 years.
thanks.

An rcd works with an inbalance between any of the conductors, lectrician was just refering to the fact that your charger would not have an earth because it is double insulated.The plastic earth pin is just to open the socket guard as you push the plug into the socket, not an electrical connection.It would not work in your case because it is supplying the primary winding of the transformer & the components in the charger are connected to the secondary winding which is electrically insulated from the primary & would therefore not cause an inbalance.

jj4091 said:
& would therefore not cause an inbalance.

Unless you were somehow connected to the lives of the charger & grounding it through your soft tissues....

Spark123 said:
jj4091 said:
Beat me to it I just thought about it again. I would still be interested to know if you were using a genni though.
Generators and RCDs? Little bit here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55207[/QUOTE]Thanks for that spark123, the reason I asked is that on three separate occasions, I have been asked to repair chargers used by tradesmen & on each occasion they were using them with a genni & on each occasion there was a large capacitor inside that had blown. I don't know enough about electronics nor generators to say that is the problem ,but it seemed rather a coincidence.

securespark said:
jj4091 said:
& would therefore not cause an inbalance.

Unless you were somehow connected to the lives of the charger & grounding it through your soft tissues....
Do you just like to state the obvious, or is it personal? :(

as for christmas tree lights, i have a personal dislike for them and i would only ever use mains lights on an rcd as its quite easy to get a shock from the lights either by watering the tree (and missing, touching a broken bulb, or touching a wire thats pulled out -and these are generally accesable by children. there are some instances the rcd would help prevent a fire, but others where it wont, it helps prevent a shock though. I only use low voltage tree lights in my house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back