RCD as main isolator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps

Can i use an RCD as my main isolator in a CU? I thought this was ok but I have been told its not allowed i need to have a main isolator then an RCD then my MCB's

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why would you want to ? unless the earthing system is TT / earth rod ?

You could, but discrimination between RCD's would be required.

So 100mA /100A at front end, then CU with split board and 2 x 30mA / 80A rails.

A 100 amp main switch + housing is about £15, a 100mA / 100A RCD with housing is about £70 !

If both sides of the split have got RCDs, what's the point of having one as an incomer?

Or did you mean a board with 3 sections?

Sorry did'nt explain the situation very well

I'm replacing a dual tarrif board it has 4 circuits on normal tarrif and 3 on economy 7, I can get a 10 way dual board but my thinking is if i have to put in an RCD as well as main switch i will only have space for 3 MCB's.

Is it ok to replace main switch with an RCD? that way i would still have 2x5 ways available

Sponsored Links
The questions you are asking are strongly indicative of you not being competent enough to tackle a task of that magnitude and complexity.

RCD as a main isolator is a PIA, My last house had one, and it was the only RCD.

anytime a mains halogen blew, it tripped, any time a tungsten lamp blew, it tripped, and if I was doing any work on electrics, ie changing a ceiling rose etc, with the circuit de-energised, if the (dead) live or neutral brushed the earth, it tripped.

I'm replacing a dual tarrif board it has 4 circuits on normal tarrif and 3 on economy 7, I can get a 10 way dual board but my thinking is if i have to put in an RCD as well as main switch i will only have space for 3 MCB's.

Is it ok to replace main switch with an RCD? that way i would still have 2x5 ways available

10 way Dual RCD boards come with RCDs and a main switch so you don't have to put either in.
Also, you would have 2 x 5 ways available.

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting as so I may have missed your point.

Bas
Thanks for your very helpful reply

If you re-read your post it is vague, which suggests a lack of skill. If true then you should understand the complex nature of the work.

If you intended to use a spark then you would leave the design and build to them. So your post does suggest you plan to do the work.
I take it you understand issue such as shared neutrals, leaky earth appliances, smoke detection, fridge / freezer circuits. Which circuit to go direct and which via RCD's
Then there's the design requirements for the split loads for safety such as lights not on one side only.

Lets start again (since we now have a better idea of your intentions).

When a so called 17th ed dual rcd board mentions 10w, 12w, 17w it means that number of MCB's can be installed after the board is configured by the installer. The main switch, and 2 x rcds are not included in the board ways capacity.
So a 17w could be configured (direct, rcd1, rcd2) as 1+8+8, 2+ 8+7, 3+7+7, etc......

How does you eco7 work ? Is it a seperate supply via a timer or the new type done via the digital meter ?

Stop burgering about trying to butcher a standard dual RCD board and buy the proper thing: a dual tariff board.

NHIIX6604 plus RCBO's.

Sorry chaps my typing skills are not as good as my electrical ones....
I meant a 10 way dual tariff board to replace the dual tariff one i have at the moment.

Thanks SS thats what I'm after, sorry if I have wasted your time

I expect that if you're fitting a dual tariff board, you'll need to use RCBOs to provide RCD protection. I don't know if a dual tariff, dual-RCD board exists, and you shouldn't try to convert a dual tariff board by using a single RCD as a main switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back