rcd bathrooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
if i wish to add rcd protection to my bathroom lighting using a rcd fcu, where in the circuit would i put the fcu

Sponsored Links
It would be much better to put an RCBO in the CU. If that is not an option then put the RCD FCU (outside the bathroom) before the cable from the lighting circuit goes into any of the switches or light fittings (not sure if you have an extract fan, mirror demisters etc?)

What is the work you are looking to carry out? I'm assuming your looking to do some alterations to the lighting circuit in the bathroom or does the work extend to other parts of the lighting circuit? Do you have more then 1 lighting circuit in your house and if so how many and what is on each of them?

It would depend what you are protecting and where your cables run.
Any automatic disconnection device can operate when we least expect it and really a basic risk assessment as to what may happen if it trips.

For example if when you should lose all upstairs lighting supply an emergency light will light then you may feed you may as well protect the whole of upstairs lighting.

However if when you lose it a dangerous situation is created then you may want only the bathroom light protected.

However as time goes on it is likely you will need to include all lighting on a RCD because of 50mm rules. So may be better to fit an emergency lamp.

Only you know what your house is like. You must consider what would be best in your house.

Sponsored Links
its to protect bathroom light and extractor only, but if i were to take light feed into rcd then onto light fitting i understand everything from there will be rcd protected (i mean any other lights onward from bathroom)

how assuming the rcd fcu is the only option i wish to take and only want bath light and extractor on it where would it go in circ?

feed in from last light...rcd...ceiling rose...switch.....extractor

Just loop in and out to the supply side of the RCD, then our output side is the perm L&N to the bathroom light and fna via the switch, don't forget the fan isolator!!

This way it's only the bathroom lights that are being RCD protected... a RCD or RCBO for the whole circuit would be the best option though!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back