RCD half wired and doubled circuits!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a problem with an RCD device in my house, it is an old house but I think it has been re-wired at some point.

Firstly, there is a separate RCD device (63a) before the cu but the wires from the meter and the wires to the cu both come from the bottom of the RCD meaning they are effectively just connected together and not going through the RCD! Any ideas why this may be, all I can think is that maybe the RCD was tripping?

Second, all of my socket outlets (up and down) are running from one 30a fuse, I don't want to open a live cu to see if there is just one ring or wether 2 have been wired together.

Third, my electric shower is running off a 30a fuse, it has never tripped whilst using it but is this safe?

Lastly, the live feed into my house ran up the inside of an interior wall to the service fuse located about a foot from the ceiling. I have recently removed this wall and thus had to relocate the cable! i have simply laid this down under the floor an it is now below a hatch inside a cupboard so can be accessed. Is this safe? I'm sure it's not legal but will it be safe enough under the floor?

Any help appreciated[/img]

Sponsored Links
1: could just be the wires come out the bottom. have you looked to see if they are connected to the same part of the RCD?

2: was safe enuf years ago when people had less electrical items. depending on how much power you use it should be ok

3:what is the power ratin of the shower?

4: should be safe, providing it is not on the ground (could get damp)

How thick is the shower cable, what approx is the cable length and what KW is the elctric shower?

Has the RCD got a test facility like mine?

im sure our service cable runs along the ground under the floor

it appears to be lead paper and fabric construction though so it much be very old

Sponsored Links
1, Definately not connected through, only 2 terminals top and bottom, switching it off also does not interrupt the supply.

2, I would still feel better if they were separated.

3, Not sure of the rating but I have a new one waiting to put in which is 9.5kw at 240v, maths say I need to upgrade the breaker before installing this!

4, It is attached to the original board which is about 1 inch thick and is then laying on the bottom, damp is not a risk as there is a very large space under the floor so lot's of air circulation.

plugwash said:
im sure our service cable runs along the ground under the floor

it appears to be lead paper and fabric construction though so it much be very old

Mine is also like this, it is also not very flexible for moving, especially when you are having to move it live!

my cocern is that the actual fuse housing is now also under the floor.

4, It is attached to the original board which is about 1 inch thick and is then laying on the bottom, damp is not a risk as there is a very large space under the floor so lot's of air circulation.[/quote]

it should not be on the floor. it can still get damp

you will also have to take the cover off to see if the 2 rings are seperate on 1 breaker on 1 large ring

You also may not even have separate rings under the floors upstairs and down. It is possible that one or other floor has been wired with spurs from the ring on the other floor.

moving the service cutout yourself sounds *very* dodgy to me

especially just leaving it on a board under the floor

maybe someone here knows a cable jointer who is prepared to sort out your mess as an on the side job

Plugwash, I agree it was dodgy moving the cable, I also think that the original position of it was dodgy, the fact that the mains feed from the street travelled 8 foot up inside a stud wall and was nowhere near the meter!!

As for the upstairs being on spurs, this is definately not the case, they are all on either one ring or two ring's wired into the same fuse. I suspect the sockets have been doubled up to free up the fuse which the shower is now on.[/quote]

plug is right. Moving the REC's equipment yourself can land you in V hot water....especially if there is a problem. Get it done by the REC - don't leave it lying around!

problem is he has already moved it.....

therefore telling the rec what he has done may not be the most sensible idea

I think I'd rather take my lumps from the DNO than risk something going wrong with that old service cable...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back