RCD keeps tripping, fault on one circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help needed. When I switch number 1 up it throws number 2 down.
I’ve tried unplugging everything in house won’t let me put no 1 up. mice unplugged all appliances still the same.
I’ve looked behind all sockets on no 1 ring still no joy.
many advice where to look from here on?
thank you

Attachments

• 9AE878CC-BACA-4823-A32E-22F2990AC41E.png
    9AE878CC-BACA-4823-A32E-22F2990AC41E.png
    380.4 KB · Views: 304
Sponsored Links
What alerted you ,that you had a problem ? Did something stop working and when you looked at the switches ,the RCD had tripped ,BUT nothing else ?
Been putting nails or screws etc into walls or floors immediately before your problem surfaced ?
The RCD trips when there is current leaking to earth.

What alerted you ,that you had a problem ? Did something stop working and when you looked at the switches ,the RCD had tripped ,BUT nothing else ?
Been putting nails or screws etc into walls or floors immediately before your problem surfaced ?
The RCD trips when there is current leaking to earth.

tha is for reply, the downstairs sockets tripped internet stopped working. Put no screws nails flooring down at all. This is a new extension and work finished around 1 yr ago had no problems until recently. prior to this I installed a new oven all working as it should as can see from my pics the ovens on a separate spur as all other appliances are too.

When sockets stopped working ,was it the RCD ( no 2 ,on right of your pic) that had tripped ,or the MCB ( no 1 in pic) ?

Sponsored Links
Hi
When sockets stopped working ,was it the RCD ( no 2 ,on right of your pic) that had tripped ,or the MCB ( no 1 in pic) ?

Hi it was the right no 2 at first that knocked out everything then it changed to number 1 in my pic

Do you mean that the MCB ( no 1) is tripping as well ? I had assumed you switched that off and only the RCD trips.
If the MCB is tripping you likely have a short circuit ,if all the loads have been removed from that circuit ( loads being,all plugs removed from sockets any fixed appliances that may be spurred off the circuit ,outside lights ,burglar alarms for instance)

No
Do you mean that the MCB ( no 1) is tripping as well ? I had assumed you switched that off and only the RCD trips.
If the MCB is tripping you likely have a short circuit ,if all the loads have been removed from that circuit ( loads being,all plugs removed from sockets any fixed appliances that may be spurred off the circuit ,outside lights ,burglar alarms for instance)

Sorry not my game this electrical stuff, no 2 was the fist problem which nocked out more than sockets. When switching that no 2 back up the sockets went down.
If I put no 2 down I can put no 1 up and vice versa. it has also taken kitchen appliances switch down twice.
It happens when it wants ‘more at night time, Last night twice. I switched everything on today and nothing happened at all.

OK , no simple fix that you can do yourself ,you need to engage an electrician to investigate /establish the fault.

OK , no simple fix that you can do yourself ,you need to engage an electrician to investigate /establish the fault.

It's not often I jump straight in with saying you need to get an electrician in, on this occassion I'm saying you do.
In the mean time go round and double check everything is unplugged and spurs switched off then treble check.

Hi thanks for this, Can I still use stuff in the house ? I have three kids don’t want them to get hurt. ive been using as normal but like above it’s trips everything and it seems to be night time and loose everything.

Safety-wise the RCD or MCB (whichever is dropping out first) is doing its job so no worries there.
Night-time you say- do you have night store heaters or any outside lights on timers/PIRs?
As above, if you've unplugged EVERYTHING and switched off EVERY FCU and still have problems then time for some professional help- without some knowledge and tools you'll be chasing the problem for ever

it may even be a fault on the MCB itself, they can go. If you have changed nothing, not plugged anything new in and tried unplugging everything on the circuit then it is either a faulty mcb gone bad or you have a hidden fault that needs to be found and as your knowledge is not great you may have to get a sparks in.

Still no joy with this had a sparks in for a bit he said it is a positive/earth fault.Unable to find exact fault as run out of time for the day. Today my appliances went off and upstairs lights tv upstairs stayed on? Agin the right grey switch no 2 went down number 1 was already down as we can’t sort out original fault. Any other advise here ?

Attachments

• D70CBC53-6415-4A2D-B32D-BA87539E3EE6.png
    D70CBC53-6415-4A2D-B32D-BA87539E3EE6.png
    403.6 KB · Views: 248
Still no joy with this had a sparks in for a bit he said it is a positive/earth fault.Unable to find exact fault as run out of time for the day. Today my appliances went off and upstairs lights tv upstairs stayed on? Agin the right grey switch no 2 went down number 1 was already down as we can’t sort out original fault. Any other advise here ?

I should get another spark who knows what he/she is talking about.

There is no positive on AC mains.

Without knowledge and some test gear you're going to have to get a professional in (ideally one who has a clue, in a normal house it should take an hour max to determine which circuit is faulting and up to 4 hrs to localise the fault)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back