rcd protection for ufh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
Hope someone can help. I`m about to put ufh under tiles in my kitchen and the instructions recommend a rcd protected fused connection unit, however the socket I want to use in the kitchen is protected by a rcd at the consumer unit, can I use a normal fused connection unit?. Also I`ve been out of the diy loop for a while and was wondering if "part p" would affect this work and if so how much of the work could I do myself? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
As long as there is one RCD in the circuit I'd expect that to cover it, however if a manufacturer is specifying one then the manufacturers instructions always overrule the IEE regs.
Installing a fused spur unit in a kitchen is notifiable to your local area building control under part p. Installing underfloor heating afaik is a special installation hence is notifiable anyway.

1. Yes you can just use a normal switched fused spur if the circuit providing the power is RCD protected.

2. UFH does indeed fall under Part P of the building regs, you will either have to go down the route of notifying your LABC yourself or getting a local spark in to do the work and arranging with him/her what they will allow you to do!

Sponsored Links
If you are to remain within the law you need to notify the work and pay the fee to your LABC before you start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back