RCD required?

Sponsored Links
Something tells me all this RCD stuff doesn't apply to industrial and commercial, but I could be very, very wrong about that...
I see absolutely nothing in 522.6.202 (or, indeed, anywhere in 522) which suggests that the requirements for RCD protection of shallow-buried cables (unless mechanically protected or with earth sheathed etc.) does not apply in commercial and industrial installations - but maybe I'm missing it.

Kind Regards, John

You are not missing anything, John

As skenk mentioned earlier there used to be a get out for RCD protection if the installation was under the control of a skilled or instructed person* but this is now gone and the requirements are the same across domestic / commericial / industrial

*This used to cause a lot of disagreements, the ECA advised that all places of work came under that, as somewhere someone would be a 'duty holder'. But in a lot of smaller organisations there is no one meeting the skilled or instructed definition. I considered it reasonable to apply to to places that had a maintenance or facilities dept. on site.

You are not missing anything, John ... As skenk mentioned earlier there used to be a get out for RCD protection if the installation was under the control of a skilled or instructed person* but this is now gone and the requirements are the same across domestic / commericial / industrial.
Indeed, but in some contexts (like the one we are discussing) that old distinction doesn't/didn't make much sense to me.

I can (just about) understand allowing, say, sockets to not have RCD protection if "the installation is under the control of a skilled person". However, when it comes to things like buried cables, I really don't see how the fact that the electrical installation is "under the control of a skilled person" will do anything to reduce the risk of a passing tradesman drilling a hole into a wall and through a cable!! ... but, again, maybe I am missing something (else!).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I really don't see how the fact that the electrical installation is "under the control of a skilled person" will do anything to reduce the risk of a passing tradesman drilling a hole into a wall and through a cable!! ... but, again, maybe I am missing something (else!).

The idea is that who is drilling the holes is controlled..... you rock up at a place to put some shelves up and you are given an site induction..... which tells you not to smoke in the building, where to find the lavatories, not to use a radio on site, details of any asbestos in the area you are working, and the pocket guide on permitted cabling routes

Well that is what I think they were getting at, but the last item on that list I have never heard of happening (all the others are pretty standard in an induction)

Perhaps the fact that it was somewhat detached from reality is why it was moved away from

Looking back at some of the literature from 2008, domestic properties needed concealed wiring at less than 50mm to be RCD protected as they were not under the control of skilled or instructed persons - but only 'ordinary persons', which meant homeowners.

It appears RCD protection for concealed wiring was only applicable for domestic and some types of commercial.

The idea is that who is drilling the holes is controlled..... ... and the pocket guide on permitted cabling routes. Well that is what I think they were getting at, but the last item on that list I have never heard of happening.
Sure, I imagine that was probably the 'thinking' but, as you go on to say, I suspect that (in the context of the real world) they probably didn't 'think enough'! As you say ...
Perhaps the fact that it was somewhat detached from reality is why it was moved away from

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back