RCD Tripping emegency Electrician cannot fix

well, still not sorted, spent 6hrs on it yesterday , taking all the Cu leads off , sockets removed - lights and fans disconnected , they cant get a replacement RCD , but it tests all OK, and then randomly trips - 2 other electricians involved from the team
so now a new consumer unit is going on, New Ring for kitchen and other Rings sorted out ........

i'm sure this is something simple now - maybe a mouse laying in a cable after chewing but should show up on a insulation test , screw in a cable when the refitted the downstairs cloak room and shower - or a faulty RCD - BUT ........

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-02-19 at 13.49.05 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-19 at 13.49.05 (1).jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
Could it be a bulb on its way out, just a suggestion.

Could it be a bulb on its way out, just a suggestion.
Who knows, but I've never come across a bulb/lamp of any sort behaving in that fashion. In fact, since bulbs/lamps invariably don't have earths, it's very hard to see how one could result in an RCD trip, no matter what was happening within them.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I did talk to him and was not that impressed and he was not really interested in doing anything more ..... having collected £160 ......

I think I would be asking for your £160 back. He seems to think he had 'earned' his £160, simply for turning up at the door. It seems that having turned up, he didn't have the slightest clue how to proceed, so likely a scam tradesman.

yea, but i was just over the phone and not paying the bill - he has been asked to provide a full report and figures for the new electrician
partners son, his father agreed to payit and will not confront him, even though i suggested

When your knocking on a bit its easier to just pay up and avoid any hassle, especially if money is not too tight. He probably feels its just better to move on.

When your knocking on a bit its easier to just pay up and avoid any hassle, especially if money is not too tight. He probably feels its just better to move on.
Very true, but, if I understand correctly, we're talking about the OP's partner's son, who presumably cannot be 'getting on' too much (unlikely as much as myself :) ).

Kind Regards, John

Very true, but, if I understand correctly, we're talking about the OP's partner's son, who presumably cannot be 'getting on' too much (unlikely as much as myself :) ).

Kind Regards, John
Doh! My bad as the young ‘uns say.

Just thought i would update to finish this tread

new consumer unit with spike protection and all RCBO's installed today - and they also found loads of problems with the kitchen wiring, when they took all the sockets off (which they do as part of th einstall - then take all sockets off around the house - and test ) they had to strip out all the kitchen wiring rewire, at least the message and photos sent.

they found 1 socket very badly wired - with exposed cables and poor connections , but none where good in the kitchen....

anyway - all sorted now

Makes you wonder why a meggers exist if you cannot use them to check parts of circuits.....

yep, my thoughts as well, i kept asking what the insulation test results showed - I would have expected a test at 500v should have solved - But anyway its all resolved - hopefully

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back