RCD TRIPS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i HAVE JUST HAD A NEW KITCHEN FITTED WITH NEW COOKER AND HOB ETC COMPLETE WITH A NEW CONSUMER UNIT . THE NEW UNIT HAS TWO RCD'S ONE SIDE HAS THE OVEN,HOB AND 9.5KW SHOWER ON IT THE OTHER SIDE HAS LIGHTING AND RING MAINS ON IT . THE PROBLEM IS WHEN THE SHOWER IS ON WITH THE OVEN THE RCD TRIPS . I CAN HAVE EITHER ONE ON INDIVIDUALLY BUT NOT BOTH AT THE SAME TIME ,CAN SOMEONE HELP OUT ?

Sponsored Links
1) Please stop shouting.

2) The person who can help is the one who installed the new CU - get him back in to sort it.

Also the ring mains and lighting circuits should ideally be split over the two RCD's.

Pics?

DOES MY HEAD IN WHEN PEOPLE POST IN CAPS.

You need to get the sparks back (if you still trust him).

Having a Oven, Hob and shower all on the same RCD may be overloading the RCD which is likely rated at 80 amp.

Very high, continuous loads must be split across the 2 x RCD's- alternatively put on the direct side of the board with the circuits own RCBO.

If you'd like to post a picture of the fuse board / CU with the labelling and RCD / MCB's photographically clear we can offer further appraisement.

Sponsored Links
An RCD (RCCB) doesn't detect overcurrent, my guess is either a cummulative effect of earth leakage from all of the said items or there is a N-E fault somewhere and loading up the CU with heavy loads is allowing enough current to pass to trip the RCD.
Lights and sockets should be split between the two RCDs so you don't lose all your lights should something trip, preferably a lighting circuit and a socket circuit in the same area should be on different RCDs.
Either way you need to have the installation looked at by a pro.

i HAVE JUST HAD A NEW KITCHEN FITTED WITH NEW COOKER AND HOB ETC COMPLETE WITH A NEW CONSUMER UNIT . THE NEW UNIT HAS TWO RCD'S ONE SIDE HAS THE OVEN,HOB AND 9.5KW SHOWER ON IT THE OTHER SIDE HAS LIGHTING AND RING MAINS ON IT . THE PROBLEM IS WHEN THE SHOWER IS ON WITH THE OVEN THE RCD TRIPS . I CAN HAVE EITHER ONE ON INDIVIDUALLY BUT NOT BOTH AT THE SAME TIME ,CAN SOMEONE HELP OUT ?

WHY IS IT HARDER TO READ TEXT IN CAPITALS? somehow it's easier on the eye to read the little letters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back