Problems after new consumer unit fitted

Sponsored Links
[cough]Hager[/cough]
They even do the fancy cable entry plates for the rear knockouts. On a board change with surface cables I'll usually knock out a couple of the top knockouts and use a piece of 50x50 to tidy everything up.

Tail glands are a bit of a pig to fit into hager boards though

Top tip of the day, a 25mm super grommet is the perfect size for the small KOs on a hager board

Thank you for everyone's input and help. I've sorted the wiring out and the cooker and hob work now.
Many thanks again

I paid an electrician to wire it in.
Really? He robbed you then. Are you going to let him get away with it?

It's a shame you've got rid of the evidence of his fraudulent and dangerous activities, but you've got photos, and this topic - wouldn't do any harm to report him.

He did it as a foreigner so he won't be able to come back until the weekend.
Oh dear.

I've got a 3 year old and a 4 week old so being with out a oven and hob is s**t.
One of the downsides of allowing an incompetent idiot to replace a CU.

Did he self-certify the work for Building Regulations compliance? Or notify it in advance? It is a legal requirement to do one of those, and lack of paperwork might bite you in the future when you come to sell the house, and you'll find that this incompetent idiot has robbed you again.

Did he even give you an EIC? Even if you're happy with not having the required Building Regulations certification, can you prove to anybody that what he did is even safe?

Do you know who his employer is? An innocent letter to the MD saying that you realise the work wasn't done by the firm, and you are not seeking any redress from them, but you are concerned that they are employing someone so useless, would be an excellent thing to do.

Thank you for everyone's input and help. I've sorted the wiring out and the cooker and hob work now.
Yep - everything is fine. Until the next time you let an incompetent idiot into your house to fiddle with things they don't understand.

If the next time he screws up in someone's house, and that time someone is injured, I hope you'll be happy about the fact that you didn't lift a finger to try and get him a kicking for what he did to you, if doing nothing is what you plan.

Sponsored Links
Yep - everything is fine.

We don't know that. For all we know, he may have not actually created a dangerous situation but by failing to test, inspect and certify there may be other issues that should be corrected.

The best thing would be to have a proper trained spark conduct an EICR. It may cost a few smackeroonies, but it would put the OP's mind at rest.

No - we know for sure that he did not do the normal/standard INSPECTION.
We know for sure that he did not detect the error(s), but, for all we know, that could have been oversight/mistake, rather than a failure to inspect. Hands up all those who have never failed to 'miss' something!

As always, you're very probably right - but I don't think that excuses the fact that there is so often a tendency here to 'assume' the worst of someone when there is no concrete evidence.

Kind Regards, John

We know for sure that he did not detect the error(s), but, for all we know, that could have been oversight/mistake, rather than a failure to inspect.
Are oversights and mistakes consistent with exercising reasonable skill and care, and good workmanship by a skilled person?

Are oversights and mistakes consistent with exercising reasonable skill and care, and good workmanship by a skilled person?
I don't think that "reasonable skill and care" can be taken as a demand for perfection. Human beings are far from infallible, no matter how skilled they are and how much care they exercise.

Kind Regards, John

Expecting a CU to be wired without L/N crosses that trip RCDs when circuits are loaded is hardly expecting perfection.

I would say it was a perfectly reasonable expectation of the level of care and workmanship of a skilled person.

Expecting a CU to be wired without L/N crosses that trip RCDs when circuits are loaded is hardly expecting perfection.
The probability of overlooking/'missing' something during an inspection is not all that related to the nature of what it is that has been overlooked/missed. Indeed, it's quite often the 'most obvious' things that get missed.

Kind Regards, John

You're going to have to work a lot harder to convince me that missing something obvious is consistent with exercising reasonable skill and care, and good workmanship, by a skilled person.

You're going to have to work a lot harder to convince me that missing something obvious is consistent with exercising reasonable skill and care, and good workmanship, by a skilled person.
I'm not going to try, because I've already said all that I have to say. We disagree, and that's fair enough.

Kind Regards, John

For the sockets it's a vacuum cleaner, which is inevitably required anyway to clean up any mess. Or a kettle.

I find it troublesome to clean up mess with a kettle. And the customers get a bit cross when you hand it back.

Not as cross, surely, as if you leave behind the sort of mess which needs the use of a kettle to clean up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back