RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've been asked to fit an outside security light. The Consumer unit has no RCD but does have spare ways. My idea is to fit a RCD supplying the downstair sockets and then from one of these sockets fit a 13A FCU that will supply the light. I also had another thought.... If i do not fit a RCD at the consumer unit but instead fit a 13A RCD fused connection unit to one of the sockets then this would supply the light.
Is this within regs? Obviously I have to inform the householder of the problems with the lack of an RCD at the CU especially in light of the new regs. Can anyone help with some advice please?

Sponsored Links
If you have spare ways, surely it's simpler to use an RCBO just for the outside lights?

1) New regs are not mandatory yet.

2) Even when they are it will not be mandatory to bring existing circuits up to spec.

3) If you're not adding a socket it doesn't have to have RCD protection.

4) Damn.

Sponsored Links
could be TT :eek:

If it is and there is no RCD at all, tell them to get one!

Thanks.
I assumed that with the new regs being RCD..RCD..RCD..RCD etc that outside lights would have been in there somewhere. I personally agree with RCD's and i've advised them to get one even if it's not me that fits it.
So i take it that just fitting a FCU from a socket would be sufficient?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back