Re: 2 way switch fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced a pair of old 2 way switches with new ones. There are only 3 wires going into each switch. One each thin black and red and one thicker red. I can only switch on and off from one switch at a time. I have copied the original switch connections although the layout of the new sitch is different to the old. (Old switch 3 connections vertically in line, new switch one conn at the top and two below side by side). I'm assuming the common connection is correct and have tried switching the L1 and L2 connections on one switch but this has no effect. Any advice would be appreciated thanks. Phil

Sponsored Links
Why do you assume the common connections are correct? How have you connected them? Are the thicker red wires in their own cable whereas the red/black part of a twin and earth? It could be the red/black wires are strappers, have you tried these in L1 and L2, the thicker red wires in the common terminals? How were the old switches connected?

I have now sorted it. Took all the wires out and identified the live feed using the wiring diagram for 2-way switch using 3 wires only from tlc.direct.co.uk (Sticky link). Popped the live feed in then switched on and off to identify what's connected to what and connected the rest. Also noticed that the landing light was connected to thick red wire. Thanks for your interest. Phil

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back