Re Cut 8" joists/floorboards over concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
greetings. I have an old house but on the ground floor where I want to replace the carpet with old floor boards I have a concrete fllor. the fllor has been down for many years. I have bought some 8" re cut joists that are very nice and old looking. What is the best way for me to continue? I have bought some 12mm ply to lay first/screw to concrete then nail the 8" boards to the ply. I have since been told that I can lay the 8" planks straight on to the concrete with high strength evostick?? Is this correct. It would help a great deal if so as it would reduce the step into the room by 12mm. Thanks so much if anyone has the time to answer, it would be really appreciated.
Martin

Sponsored Links
you could do it without the joists. Is the concrete floor lower than the floors in the adjacent rooms? If so, by how much?

greetings John and thanks for getting back so quickly.. the concrete floor is slightly lower. when the underlay and carpet was down then the level netween the two rooms was good. Now the concrete is lower by about 13mm and the joints which I will use as the new floor boards are 25mm thick so when this is on the ply it will be 12mm + 25mm = 37mm minus the 13mm concrete diff equals a step of 24mm to the next room?? with out the ply it would be less

if the concrete is flat, you may be able to do it using a damp-proof foam underlay, with the boards glued or nailed together (as it is an old house I assume the concrere floor is going to be more or less damp).

(when you said "joists" I thought you meant joists, but you mean planks, really, as floorboards.)

One of the Wooden Flooring enthusiasts will be along in the morning and will know more.

Are your planks Tongued and Grooved, or square-edged? have they been planed flat and square all round? They are 8" x 1" or thereabouts (200mm x 25mm)

Sponsored Links
John the house is old but the interior has been re done in the last 7 years. The concrete is very dry and flat with the spirit level.. It had carpet and underlay and all is dry and dusty..the boards are not T and G just nice broad planks/old joists sawn to be used as my new boards. Yes John they are exactly that 200mm x 25mm they are flat smooth on one side and sawn the other. I was thinking of nailing to the ply also?? many thanks for your time.. if you have any questions on music let me know..lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back