Re-doing Electric heating ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I've just come onto the forum and posting a new topic as I've got quite a few questions but searching didnt help! :(

We're looking at buying a flat with only electric heating available (No gas connections available). The flat is in a rundown condition and would need to be re-done completely, which means we would need to get new electric heaters too.

Can you please suggest what is the cheapest way (installation as well as running costs) of CH and also for providing hot/warm water for shower and baths...

What is the most economical way to set it up and run? I've know a few bits and pieces about economy 7, but is this the cheapest to install and run?

also, how much would installation for a lounge/2bedrooms cost?

for academic interest, how costly is electricity compared to gas?

Thanks in advance for your time

cheers
kev

Sponsored Links
economy7 - depends if your flat has economy7 supply!

I dont like storage heaters - they heat up during the night when you dont want the heat . . . logical? no.

Electricity is certainly less economical than gas - the conversion from coal/gas >> electric >> heat is very wasteful and inefficient. Electric costs more per unit too (IIRC).

I think the most economical way to heat a flat w/electricity is electric oil radiators on a dedicated timed circuit with a thermostat. To use a timer for the whole lot would require a contactor (fancy relay), and the thermostat could be wired in series with the timer. Set timer to off for 10pm-5am, and 8am-4pm, for example.

Of course if you have eco7, you should also consider this and research what savings you would actually be making. Many people complain that towards the evening (when they are home), the storage heaters give out less heat - they are running out, but cant be re-charged until 11pm.

Sponsored Links
Have you considered electric powered wet CH using radiators.
Heatrae Sadia do very neat electric boilers which are cheaper than gas fired boilers. The extra cost of electricty over gas or oil is being eroded daily and there is a saving in that you no longer need your boiler servicing every year. The Boilers are very small and can be hidden easily. Power is via a 10mm cable.

thnx for ur replies guys...
im not sure abt wet CH heating, doesnt that mean that I'll hv to get plumbing done too? its a leasehold flat and i've got ppl above and below our flat...

is there any kind of elec. heaters available that are cheaper than storage heaters?

n what is the best way to hire a tradesman, do i get someone to do everything (i need a new kitchen/floors/windows/doors)

There's a lot to be said for getting a proper electrician to do the electrics. They sneer at the shoddy sockets and lights done by kitchen fitters (and no doubt plumbers sneer at the way a sparky fits a tap). A good joiner who does the doors and floors will be able to fit your kitchen cabs and worktops nicely, and should recommend a chum who's a good plasterer. People in building trades meet each other all the time and should have an idea of who's good (though no doubt crooks recommend other crooks).

I'm not at all keen on storage heaters, they keep the house warm all day when you're out at work, and go cold by the time you want to sit about watching telly.

If you have to go for electric heating, get a few ordinary convection heaters (as well as having economy circuits installed), and a heated towel rail for the bathroom, that you can use in the evening. If you manage to run some of them off the economy power (e.g. bedroom heater if you have young child or a bad chest) all the better. get the biggest hot water cylinder, with the best insulation that you can, to heat up overnight.

I notice you're on a middle floor, so no scope for insulating, except the windows.

JohnD said:
I'm not at all keen on storage heaters, they keep the house warm all day when you're out at work, and go cold by the time you want to sit about watching telly.

If you have to go for electric heating, get a few ordinary convection heaters (as well as having economy circuits installed), and a heated towel rail for the bathroom, that you can use in the evening. If you manage to run some of them off the economy power (e.g. bedroom heater if you have young child or a bad chest) all the better. get the biggest hot water cylinder, with the best insulation that you can, to heat up overnight.

I notice you're on a middle floor, so no scope for insulating, except the windows.

aren't convection heaters costly though???
i do agree with you on how storage heaters work but still i thought they still costed less in running/initial costs....

heated towel rail, again, is good and i;ve already thought abt this earlier but how cld u use anything to run off economy power during the day?

do you know if washing machines/dish washers can be used on economy 7 or 10??? i believe i will need to get the machines or plug points wired up and approved by the electricity company seperately, right?

You will need to have the circuits installed by a qualified electrician who is able to give you a certificate, I believe you can have outlets for things like washing machines and tumble triers, as well as immersoin and storage heaters. In a flat I woudn't have thought you could have floor heating.

There is a chance your electricity supplier might have a scheme for this kind of installation - see if you can get a subsidy or approved installer out of them and see if it comes out better than other reputable installers.

Dimplaex do a Duoheat storage rad.

Heats up at night, storing the heat for the day. (Nice cheappy lecky at night). During the day, as the heat wares out, which it will in a poorly insulated property, a convector element inside comes on/off to compensate for the loss.

Gas is going up in price, making lecky almost on-par.

Storage rads are not ideal, but certainly worth consideration.

Dont be put off by not already having an econ 7 supply - it is very cheap to install. Saying that, you may need a sub-service run if your metering is remote from the flat?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back