re-fitting new toilet to cast pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I,m about to buy a new toilet to replace old one, 20 years old +.
It,s been plumbed into old cast iron waste, BUT, it,s surrounded by tape, so cannot see what connection they,ve used.
Don,t want to disturb it yet, but would like to know best way to connect new one to waste outlet.
I,ve used straight plastic connectors before, but to plastic stench, what,s the best way to get a secure fit to cast.? Are there special connectors to cast?
Know this is vague, but it,s for son, and don,t want to get there without all I need;;
Also, need to drill wall to take new overflow pipe, what,s normal size pipe, for drill bit size purpose, solid 9" brick?
Any advice would be very grateful.
Planning for weekend fit.

Sponsored Links
Does your existing toilet fit into a collar on the cast iron and then poss wrapped in denso tape ?
You can either get a grinder and cut off the collar and use an ordinary pan connector or get an extension pan connector and leave the collar on.
The first option is neater.

Does your existing toilet fit into a collar on the cast iron and then poss wrapped in denso tape ?
You can either get a grinder and cut off the collar and use an ordinary pan connector or get an extension pan connector and leave the collar on.
The first option is neater.
Hi onecog, thanks for reply.
I realy don,t know if its collar is still on, because its wrapped with tape, not denso, but similar, so looks like it was leaking at the time. it was fitted yonks ago.
just looked at extension connectors at homebase, I have them on my 2 loos, also a flexi extendable 1.£15 and £21 respectively
But, is the inside of cast same as plastic, so rubber flaps seal ok.? they seem standard size to me.
I only moved mine an inch the other week, and created a leak on short connector into extension.

you won`t need an overflow hole on a new WC , they are internal . Best to measure the outside of the iron pipe then deduct 3-4 mm for the wall thickness . They can be what`s known as B`stard sizes ;)

Sponsored Links
you won`t need an overflow hole on a new WC , they are internal . Best to measure the outside of the iron pipe then deduct 3-4 mm for the wall thickness . They can be what`s known as B`stard sizes ;)
cheers Nige,used to b***stard sizes, was engineer;;retired, worked with a few as well. :D
wasn,t sure if all new cisterns had inbuilt overflow, my closed ones don,t , but didn,t see any on those at homebase.
one less problem.cheers. very much appreciated.
will check the outer size of stench pipe.but, I think it,s try and see;;;
don,t want it taped up like it is, even boxed in.BUT, may have to. :(

I agree with the guys above.
Nowadays, FWIW, when we meet cast iron stubs - pipe or hub - we chop them off flush with the wall surface.
This will give you latitude - in terms of height and distance - when offering the WC connector to the soil pipe.

I agree with the guys above.
Nowadays, FWIW, when we meet cast iron stubs - pipe or hub - we chop them off flush with the wall surface.
This will give you latitude - in terms of height and distance - when offering the WC connector to the soil pipe.
Thanks dann, it may be cut off, there,s that much tape around it, hard to guage.
Will have another look, the thing that,s most bothering me, is the internal size of pipe, to get a good seal with a push in connector.
Do you find the ordinary connectors seal ok, on cast, with flange off??
He lives quite a way from me and diy places, so need to be sure I,ve got everything before I start the job.
Obviously, the tape on now, signifies , whoever did it, years ago, had leaks after.
It,s got to be between 20>30 years ago when it was done.
it,s the dudley cistern and pipe, plastic that,s in now.
just wants an upgrade to close fit.

It will fit.
If anything it will be tight so a bit of fairy and a few taps will sort it.

Most 4" cast soil pipes have a smaller ID than modern UPVC they do make a 3-1/2" / 4" multikwick to fit cast iron. the 3-1/2" fits the Cast ID 'usually'.

as noted above usually better to cut the old collar off if still fitted, at the least it makes a tideyer job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back