Re-fitting radiator to plasterboard.

jar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I'm not a tradesperson so please bear with me as I'm just looking for ideas for a fix.

We have a rental property that has some issues after the last tenant left.

One issue is that the radiators in the living room, under windows, look like they were fitted directly to the plasterboard and the plasterboard has started to bow or bulge out a bit and the brackets for the radiators have come loose. I think someone has obviously been leaning on them more than once.

I've no idea where the studs might be in the wall or if there actually are any. I've tried a stud finder and it seems to beep every time I move it so no idea what is going on.

I'm looking for the most cost effective (i.e. cheap) way of fixing this so I'd rather not have to cut out any of the plasterboard as the walls are currently wallpapered with textured paper. If we need to start cutting out sections of wall then we'd probably need to redecorate the whole room.

I was wondering about an option of fixing a piece of plywood or MDF to the wall and then fit the radiator to this. And thinking it may be useful to get fixings long enough to fix the plywood through to the brickwork at the back (external wall).

Does this sound reasonable or is it a terrible idea ? If it's doable would plywood or MDF be better ? And what fixings would be best to use ?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
If it is external wall then plasterboard probably stuck to outer wall , just refit rad using longer screws to external wall .

Thanks for the reply. I think there is an airgap behind the plasterboard so might not be stuck directly to the brickwork. I just don't know if there are any studs anywhere under the windows, without cutting holes to investigate.

Would longer fixings still be an option in this case and, if so, any recommendations ? I don't know if hammer fixings would work or something different.

Thanks

We have a rental property that has some issues after the last tenant left.

I'm looking for the most cost effective (i.e. cheap) way of fixing this

These are 2 sentences we hear on a daily basis.

Hire a tradesman to sort it out for you.

Andy

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If it’s under a window there is brick just buy long plugs and screws.

• Thanks
Reactions: jar
Thanks for the reply. I think there is an airgap behind the plasterboard so might not be stuck directly to the brickwork. I just don't know if there are any studs anywhere under the windows, without cutting holes to investigate.
You need screws and plugs,hammer fix have little pull resistance.

Thanks again.
Are masonry screws (e.g. thunderbolt or others) any better or worse that screws and plugs ? I'm not sure if the bricks are solid or hollow. They are concrete blocks rather than standard bricks.

Thanks again.
Are masonry screws (e.g. thunderbolt or others) any better or worse that screws and plugs ? I'm not sure if the bricks are solid or hollow. They are concrete blocks rather than standard bricks.
Concrete or thermalite?

house-brick.JPG

Unfortunately I have no idea what type of brick. The house is ex local authority and probably about 40-50 years old if that helps ? Or is there any way to tell ? I've attached a photo of a house that sold on the same street. Thanks

Last edited:
View attachment 215859

Unfortunately I have no idea what type of brick. The house is ex local authority and probably about 40-50 years old if that helps ? Or is there any way to tell ? I've attached a photo of a house that sold on the same street. Thanks
Should take concrete screws .very strong .

• Thanks
Reactions: jar

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back