Re-installed shower enclosure with uneven wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We had a builder in to install a new bathroom, as the job was too big for us.

To cut a very long story short I have re-installed the shower tray and am now ready to fit the panels. We have a very old house and the walls are very sloping. Previously there was a gap between one wall and the panel which the builder filled with silicon and plaster. Now the tray is level I thought it would be straighter, but no.
I have about a 1 inch gap at the top. The whole room is already newly tiled so no dot-n-dabbing possible, and the tray is not budging either.

Is there anything on the market I can use to fill the gap?
The fixings allow some margin but the walls are too bad to consider anything but a tall thin wedge in aluminium to blend in.

Cheers
Matt

Sponsored Links
personally for a pro finish i'd get the walls sorted rather than bodge the gaps.

Some manufacturers do a spacer jam which fits behind the existing jam but it sounds like you need a tapered jam. Hindsight is a great thing and walls should have been plumbed first.

This was a total gut job as joists were not meeting the walls and a few were rotten, so new kitchen ceiling too. Back to bare walls, 3 are 3ft thick stone, the other internal is brick.

You'd think that the builder would have used a spirit level when putting the plasterboard up, knowing he was also fitting a shower enclosure.
If I removed the tiles and sorted the 4m wall it's going to cost about £300 in tiles alone.

After sleeping on it I can think of 3 solutions.

1. Spacer Jam (suggested by cozzmic) but where can I get one?
2. Wood baton wedge, which I can then tile with a few spares I can slice up.
3. Use a spare wall fixing for the shower, reversed and trimmed down to form a wedge.

I want to get this sorted ASAP. It's taken me weeks already to sort out the botched floor, uneven and leaking shower tray, leaking bath (boxed in).
I still have to replace tiles with 40mm holes for towel radiators, re-box the bath with edge supports, remove the ceiling mounted fan switch (the missus is too short to reach it), replace the extractor fan as the pull cord was removed, put move screws in parts of the floor I couldn't fix. (22 stone bloke and 18mm T&G with no noggins)
I'm sick of having to bath in the mornings for work.

Sponsored Links
Hi again,
I went away for the weekend to the in-laws and talked over while I was there.
My biggest concern was cutting the wedge shape. Wood was the easiest option but forgot i had an angle grinder, making the aluminium bracket a better option. So i've borrowed some cutting disks from the father-in-law and I'll get to use my Xmas present for the first time.
I'll cut the spare bracket into a wedge tomorrow after work and i'll try and post some pictures up so you can see the problem and how it turned out.
Cheers
Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back