Re: Remote control lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is being rewired. In the main bedrooms I have two downlighters in the bay area, a main light in the ceiling and two bedside lamps. Id like to control and dim these by a main switch and a remote control unit.

Im my lounge Id like to control a main light and various uplighters and lamps also by this method.

Ive been looking into Hamilton, Homeserve (B&Q - cheapest option) & GET which is a nice system but seems expensive.

Does anyone have any advice on what would be a good system or way to go about serving my requirements?

Sponsored Links
I've got the GET system at home.

It is expensive, but seems like good stuff. It hasn't broken down, or even needed new batteries yet. It's been in for 2 years so far...

Cheers, it does look nice. Which system do you have? I was looking at one called SMART. With all new sockets its coming out at £1700 though!

Yeah, I've got the smart system.

I only have 1 controller and a couple of receivers though, so it wasn't too bad for me, but if you have a few lights and controllers, it will soon get expensive.

How much have you been quoted / where are you getting your prices from at the moment?

Sponsored Links
I know its unbelievable how it mounts up! I was going to have a main controller (wall switch)in bedroom 1, with a ceiling receiver to control bay downlights and main light and a floor receiver to control bedside lamps. Same for bedroom 2.

Downstairs in lounge exactly the same set up.

2 remote controls - one for lounge and one for both bedrooms.

Im in London, it was a local supplier that GET recommended.

These are prices I've been quoted so far:

Wall controller - £61
Remote controller - £91
Ceiling receiver - £52
Floor receiver - £52

Wall sockets s/steel finish £17

a ceiling receiver to control bay downlights and main light and a floor receiver to control bedside lamps. Same for bedroom 2.

Are you wanting to control the DLs and the main light seperately? You would need two receivers for this.

It allows you to do a bit of scene setting then and maybe have the centre light on full and the DLs at say 40% for effect.

Not sure how this compares price wise, but worth having a look Here. I got mine slightly cheaper from my local wholesaler after a lot of bartering, but not a lot.

Yes definately, would like the downlights controlled seperately from the main light. That was my way of thinking, allowance of a full main light and dl's on dimmer.
I think thats why the cost is mounting up.

Any reason why you never went for th ULTI system, I was trying to work out if this would work out cheaper as Im using alot of receivers etc in SMART system. ULTI is meant to be more exspensive apparently! Cheers I'll take a look.

Cheers, they are slightly cheaper so all helps!

www.getplc.com

I just downloaded their 2009 catalogue by going to the home tab on their site and its on P9. I think the switches are controllers and receivers, but Im not 100%.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back