re-replacing sealed units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, my double glazing is not up to scratch, the cavity is approx 15mm.
They are big panes, two bays appro 6 feet by 5 feet.
any idea how much per square foot it is to replace with wider cavity?
ball park. windows should take the new glass, deep recess.

Sponsored Links
Don't be so certain about them taking a thicker unit, theres a lot of factors involved, first things first.....is it a wooden/pvc/ali window?

Pictures help too!

Don't be so certain about them taking a thicker unit, theres a lot of factors involved, first things first.....is it a wooden/pvc/ali window?

Pictures help too!
hi crank.pvc.been in 20 years, have different sizes as done as done different jobs to the house over the period.I'm not certain the frames will take wider units, but, just wanted to know a figure per square foot, assuming they will, without approaching a company.

If you can get from a 16mm to a 20 mm cavity I don't think you will notice the difference. Just get a 16mm cav with argon or krypton

Sponsored Links
If you can get from a 16mm to a 20 mm cavity I don't think you will notice the difference. Just get a 16mm cav with argon or krypton
hi god, I've seen the slim type dvertised, but, want a rough figure of how much per square foot.
doing the lounge throught and thought of maybe doing the bay at the same time?any price off the top of your head, roughly?

If your are talking about the heritage thin lite type units they are 4&6mm cavity, I assume your overall unit is 24mm so they won't fit. For a argon filled unit per sq mtr supply only I reckon you will be looking at £45-50

If your are talking about the heritage thin lite type units they are 4&6mm cavity, I assume your overall unit is 24mm so they won't fit. For a argon filled unit per sq mtr supply only I reckon you will be looking at £45-50
hi god, I'm confused.my windows have 15>16mm units at present, and would like 20mm or more, if frame will take it, not nescesarily gas filled, just a wider cavity, otherise, another 16mm cavity, one, gas filled if possible, to up the U value of the window, without changing whole bay,
there's 7 windows in it, the biggest is 6x5 feet, thats the main one.
the beading holding it in is quite large.?
sorry if I'm confusing you.

Spacer bars start at 4mm and increase to 6mm, 8mm 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 16mm and 20mmm when you say yours is 15mm do you mean the overall thickness including glass or do you mean the cavity, its never going to be an odd number whatever you have.....always even.

Another thing to watch out for is the glass thickness, do you know what this is in all of the units within the same bay, the big one could easily have 6mm glass due to its size and to combat wind deflection so with a 16mm cavity could well already be a 28mm unit so nothing gained

Pictures of the beads would help

Like crank said, you will need to look at a smaller pane to see if the cavity is the same as the pane

Spacer bars start at 4mm and increase to 6mm, 8mm 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 16mm and 20mmm when you say yours is 15mm do you mean the overall thickness including glass or do you mean the cavity, its never going to be an odd number whatever you have.....always even.

Another thing to watch out for is the glass thickness, do you know what this is in all of the units within the same bay, the big one could easily have 6mm glass due to its size and to combat wind deflection so with a 16mm cavity could well already be a 28mm unit so nothing gained

hi crank, I will take a photo tomorrow and post it.I think the gap is 16mm, but not sure of glass?as you say, it's a large pane, so could be different to others, will look at this also, see if I can notice anything, thanks to both of you for your help, much appreciated.

hi crank, I will take a photo tomorrow and post it.I think the gap is 16mm, but not sure of glass?as you say, it's a large pane, so could be different to others, will look at this also, see if I can notice anything, thanks to both of you for your help, much appreciated.

Hope thses are of help.
I have another window and french doors in the same room, which have a wider cavity, and they were all in when I bought the house.19 years next month.
Same in the Kitchen/Diner, another similar bay and window large.smaller cavity..
I notice streaks on the inside of lounge window at the bottom,2 inches long, inside the cavity,but, not new;;,or condensation,although I do suffer condesation, but always have.It's a big house, tried everything, Dehumidifier etc. Just live with it, but, wondered if I changed the bays, to wider cavity, it may help.
BUT, at what cost??
even the wider cavity ones get condensation on them, but not as bad as the bays.

Externally beaded so it's on glazing tape, that itself doesn't look that thick, probably 3mm Max so fitting 1mm tape wouldn't get you the unit thickness you wish for and it's not option even thinking about changing the beads, can of worms and probably even obsolete

Look like 12 mm cavity to me .
Hi Guys , thanks for feedback, took the plunge and just had R.E.P glass out to measure and quote.It's 4mm glass in all panes, 20mm overall, so that leaves 12mm gap.spot on , give yourself a gold star.
He says, the same has to go back in, BUT, different toughened glass, forgot type, and Argon filled. Should reduce condensation( the reason for changing them), but, I know, that cannot be guaranteed, and wouldn't believe it if he said it would.
He claims the glass, not the cavity, makes the difference.?? 16mm would have been better, but not with my frames.
One window in lounge he says is K glass, and bigger cavity, reason for not consensing as bad as bay.
bit of a mixture of windows.
Myself, I would have said larger cavity would give better insulation?
Who's correct?
Give you price tomorrow when I get it.
do you think 12mm , whatever type of glass , argon filled, will reduce condensation, or, change the windows completely, because, that's the only reason for changing them????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back