Re-siting a meter/CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a meter and fuse box in a under-stairs cupboard accessed from the kitchen. I would like to use this space for a fridge/freezer, and so would like to have the meter moved and the fuse-box replaced by a CU. It could for example be moved to the other smaller under-stairs cupboard, accessed from the hall. This would be easiest from a moving the supply cable point of view in that it is just the other side of a brick wall.

In this smaller under-stairs cupboard is also the gas meter. Is there any reason why I couldn't/shouldn't have the two in the same cupboard?

Note I am not planning on doing the moving myself, just thinking ahead.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
i have a feeling that if you are haveing your meter moved the rec may insist on a meter box in the outside wall

Sponsored Links
I have moved plenty of service positions and the rec have never insisted on an outside cabinet, they will put it anywhere within reason, in my area it costs about £400 for an overhead move and £700 for undergound minimum

It should't be that complicated. is no major digging. Supply comes into the house under the wooden floor to its current position. I'm requesting that they move it to the other side of where it comes in. So same supply cable length, just in a different position.

I've phoned Southern Electric today and I'm expecting a call from one of their engineers in the next 5-7 working days. I'll see if they are picky about it being outside and if they'll provide a meter with a 'contractors' isolator as dingbat mentioned in my other post.

Cheers y'all.

asterisk said:
It should't be that complicated. is no major digging. Supply comes into the house under the wooden floor to its current position. I'm requesting that they move it to the other side of where it comes in. So same supply cable length, just in a different position.
Size/difficulty of job is no guide. They'll charge you a lot, whatever.

I've phoned Southern Electric today and I'm expecting a call from one of their engineers in the next 5-7 working days. I'll see if they are picky about it being outside and if they'll provide a meter with a 'contractors' isolator as dingbat mentioned in my other post..
I'd be interested to know what they say re this. I asked them about fitting an isolation switch (not a new meter with one inbuilt), and they said that they don't do that.

Bloody privatised electric companies... :unsure: :mad: :evil: :evil: :(

And censorship:

The Korean war was a tragic, and very bloody imperialist battle.

haha.

But I am allowed to write "One of the architects of the latest American imperialist adventure is Dick Cheney."

Strange.

ban-all-sheds said:
Size/difficulty of job is no guide. They'll charge you a lot, whatever.
£204 + vat for two blokes to work with a live supply. Not too bad a price. If I wanted the meter moved further I'd have to arrange to have the hole dug so they would just move the cable. That would get expensive.
I did have to get a gas pipe cut and capped because it was right where the supply would be coming through though :rolleyes:

ban-all-sheds said:
I'd be interested to know what they say re this. I asked them about fitting an isolation switch (not a new meter with one inbuilt), and they said that they don't do that.
The chap who came to do the survey said, when I asked about it, that they would put in an isolation switch for free during the move, but they didn't want to have to change the meter. I asked about changing the meter for one with a built in switch and they said changing the meter would be hassle with the paperwork and the closing one bill and starting another.

I'll let you know how it goes when they get round to doing it in the third week of August.

asterisk said:
I'll let you know how it goes when they get round to doing it in the third week of August.

Well the REC chaps are due tomorrow to do the work so I thought I'd check out the innards of the current Wylex Fuse Box.

It looks like the earth bar can only take 10mm cores. Given I'm supposed to connect it up with 16mm to the new earthing point on the supply cable how should I go about this.

I've got an external earthbar (8 way) that does take 16mm so I could connect to that and then take 10mm to the fusebox. But what's the recommended method until I get my new CU?

2 seperate runs of 10mm earth cable from the main earth terminal to the CU

the recs frequently work live because the only other option is to cut of power to an unacceptablly large number of people

their equipment training and working practices minimise the dangers from live working

asterisk said:
The chap who came to do the survey said, when I asked about it, that they would put in an isolation switch for free during the move
Curious, given that the SEC guy I spoke to said they don't fit them. Don't suppose you got his name, did you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back