Re-tiling tiled worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to retile my ceramic tiled kitchen worktop. My intention is to use some type of board (mdf?) screw fixed through the existing and re-tile on top.

What would be the best type of board? and whats the thinnest thickness reccommended? Is it a viable plan?

Sponsored Links
You couldn't use anything worse than MDF really. I presume your not keen on removing the existing tiles, in which case you could tile directly on the existing ones, give them a sugar soap clean and a wipe over with some solvent. You may need longer screws for the sockets and switches.

I want to retile my ceramic tiled kitchen worktop.
As in flat horizontal surface that food is prepared on?
Adding any thickness of tiles, boards or whatever will leave you with the problem of how to finish the edges. Plus, tiled worktops are nasty, unhygienic things unless done with epoxy grout, and even then are still hideous relics from the 1980s.

Realistically it's time to replace the whole worktop with something else.

Good spot there, you know what they say about assumption, there was me presuming the OP was talking about splash-backs!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back