Re-use old stainless steel flue, condensing oil boiler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
You MUST use the flue approved by the manufacturer, so if you're having a new boiler you need to connect it to their flue, as their flue is the only flue that has been tested and confirmed to work on that boiler

If byou are really convinced that your existing flue is suitable then submit the details to Warmflow and they will advise you.

But we know what their response is going to be!

Tony

Sponsored Links
You were quite clear, and the answer remains the same, you can't use your existing flue, you need a new one. There's nothing unsuitable about the standard low-level plastic balanced flue at all, it's certainly much more suitable than your existing s/s vertical flue, I don't quite see why you're so against the idea of the balanced flue.

The only way you can use your current flue is if you can get something in writing and on headed paper from Warmflow saying that you can use it. If that happens, your installer may be willing to connect it.

Vertical conventional flues on condensing boilers don't work properly even where the manufacturer approves it. The condense produced within the flue itself, (which comes out as steam in the horizontal flue) will find its way out of the flue joints and run back down alll over your boiler, or if you are taking it up a chimney in a liner, then it can get into the brickwork causing damp, as the flue temperature is not hot enough to evaporate it.

No, you can't fit a non-condensing boiler, building regulations require it to be condensing and have done for several years. Even if you could fit one, in all likelihood you'd still have to replace your existing flue as the manufacturer probably wouldn't approve your current flue.

You can fit a vertical balanced flue...but you'll have to find a way of getting it up whatever route your current flue uses (IE using it to replace your current flue)

To say the answers are not helpful is incorrect

As dan said new boiler new flue!

A new horizontal flue cannot be fitted where the fumes could enter your open door.

Some manufacturers allow connection to a conventional flue but this I normally only as an air supply and a new liner would need to be connected to the exhaust.
I am not aware of any condensing boiler that can be connected directly to an existing stainless flue. If I saw it I would condem it and shut it down

My question and I'm surprised why no one else has mentioned. Why warmflow?
Next.. Why don't you believe your installer?

I just checked warmflows website for conformation.

When connecting to an existing masonry chimney, a Warmflow HFL or VFL flexible flue liner suitable for use with condensing boilers and of an appropriate diameter must be used. The annular space must be filled with insulation and sealed top and bottom.
Only Warmflow‟s flue systems designed specifically for use with condensing boilers may be used.

So as said you can use your chimney but your existing flue is not acceptable.

Oil boilers have a lot more leeway over what types of flue can be used.

Generally speaking, most condensing oil boilers can be connected to a rigid stainless flue.

However, not any rigid stainless flue, as stated above, the joints have to be designed to be watertight and the flue sections themselves fit for oil condensing appliances.

Most types of chimney liner, whilst they could be stainless, will be of the banded flexible type, which traps moisture (condense) by surface tension in the internal corrugations, leading to early failure. So a standard chimney liner would be unsuitable.

So the chances of your current flue being suitable for a condensing appliance are very small, but I would not say nil without having seen it.

Be aware that AT LEAST one of the respondents on this thread is not an oil qualified technician, and purely deals with domestic gas.

For commercial sized gas and all oil installations the flue design is more down to the installer, unless the boiler manufacturer specifically states otherwise.

I'm not oily either, but it seems unlikley that a plume diverter would "have" to go anywhere particular. For gas boilers they can be quite long, eg high, up at gutter level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back