Re-Using Existing uPVC Windows Elsewhere?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

How easy is it to remove existing uPVC Windows (say up to 6' by 4' ones) and re-use them elsewhere? It'd guess they're 20+ years old, and I accept that more modern one's might be slightly more thermally efficient, and secure?

I'm having a rear extension + house mods that require the removal of two largish windows, and I'd be perfectly happy for them to be re-used in the new extension.
Would this be a genuine cost-saving, or is it actually more hassle/risky for a builder to have to carefully remove them, and then install previously-used windows?

Primarily I'm trying to save costs, but I also have a preference to re-use wherever possible.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I’m not an expert by any means but I would think a few screws and cut some mastic away and they should come out. Not sure, but they might not comply with the latest building regs. If I’m wrong, I’m sure I’ll be told pretty quickly!

Your building inspector probably won't let you reuse them in the new extension as they probably won't conform to current building regs regarding energy efficiency.

Getting them out in one piece will depend on whether they are strapped in or screwed in. It is 50/50 chance that you will even get them out without damaging them, as screws rust straps are a pain and pvc gets brittle

In theory you cant reuse them because all new windows have to be tested to show compliance with part L.

If the double glazing is original it predates part L requirements for low e glass, so you could change the units. Whether the BCO will accept that is the question.

Upvc can be taken out reasonably easily - the screws may have rusted, thats all -a hacksaw blade or recip would get them

Sponsored Links
Taking them out shouldn't be too much of an issue, whether they meet new regs is another, Document L, K and maybe even Q now, I know it was for new builds only but there was talk of including new build extensions down the line too, best to check with your BCO

Taking them out shouldn't be too much of an issue, whether they meet new regs is another, Document L, K and maybe even Q now, I know it was for new builds only but there was talk of including new build extensions down the line too, best to check with your BCO

I am always rather amused by the contradictions of building regs and windows.

Windows must have passive vrntilation, yet achieve weatger tightness for thermal efficiency.
Windows must be both lockable for security yet easy to open for fire egress
Then those windows with restrictors and egress facility.

True but I think I'm right in saying all of this that a window with trickle vents cannot pass an A rating so will not be rated?

Fire egress windows can't have lockable handles.

And windows which require restrictors as well as being a point of egress can have restrictor hinges

I agree with you though when we have one reg trying to out do the other

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

So, I think I will need to:
1. Check with building control guy whether the windows would be allowed.
2. Accept there’s a risk the Windows could be damaged on removal, and that I’ll need to buy new one’s in any case.

True but I think I'm right in saying all of this that a window with trickle vents cannot pass an A rating so will not be rated?

Replying to Crank here, yes a trickle vent means it can not be classed as an A rated frame ( will still have same u value though) . Also add-ons, Georgian bars , astragal bars , leaded and decorative units all stop a frame being an A rated frame , in fact I believe none were tested with cills on either!. So all these firms saying in their literature/quotes that they are A rated frames are technically miss selling the product ( bet the likes of the big companies the salesmen/women don't even know the difference!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back