re

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got a timed fan, and ran 3core from rose to triple pole isolator anto fan and everything fine but instructions say fuse down to 3a, as i have a live and switched live where do i put the fcu in the circuit?

Sponsored Links
maybe im not being clear would i put fcu into cable before it enters light fitting?

If you are triggering the fan from the same switch you use to turn the bathroom light on with, then use the lighting loop to feed an FCU, the outgoing side of which feeds the light via the switch, the fan connected to the permanent live (from the outgoing feed of the FCU, the switched live (from the switch) and the neutral, all connected through a TP switch.

HOWEVER, the problem with this is that (as with all fans fed via the bathroom light switch) you need the light on to have the fan on.

If you wire an independently-fed switch for the fan, you don't need the light on to have the fan.

Sponsored Links
Most people don't bother to fuse to 3A and just hope the 6A lighting feed will be OK. A few people have asked the manufactures and have received a variety of replies as to if the existing 6A is good enough.

Others have used double pole lighting switches or fused the bathroom lights also to 3A.

There is only one way to find out if the 3A recommendation is just because with a BS1361 fuse preferred sizes are 3 or 13 amp and with MCB's 6A is OK. Or if it really needs 3A is to ask the manufacture. And maybe if enough ask they will start to put the info on the box!

If you take a branch from the lighting circuit to a switched FCU, and then the live from that through one side of a DP switch which replaces the existing switch then you won't need the 3-pole isolator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back