Real chips.

News paper was softer than Izal bog paper but you had to scrunch it up into a ball to get an efficient wipe.
Now chips always taste better when bought at the seaside I think.

Sponsored Links
Some great replies.

It is true to say that unless you have had properer home cooked chips then you need not criticise.

Fresh eggs are becoming wishy-washy too. No taste.

Shame you can't get black jacks now either.

I prefer French-fries. Not the Macdonalds sort, the thick, chunky chips, fried till they're soft, on a low gas, then browned on a high gas till they're crispy on the outside.
They're supposed to be healthier also 'cos there's less contact with the fat/oil.

Sponsored Links
I'd rather have oven chips than the paper-bag-filled-with-pus texture of a lot of chippy chips nowadays.
Then you must be completely bereft of any taste buds whatsoever. Oven chips simply have no pleasing texture or taste other than what has been artificially added within the factory.

Eating oven chips is considered more of a chore than a pleasant eating experience.

chips count as 1 of your 5 a day.

anyone else notice them schullbit posters that promote fish and chips as a healthy meal?

That reminds me........

Whats happened to coljack????. He loved his chips. :D

I don't know about anyone else, but I thought he was a an OK bloke on this forum.
Does anyone know?????

Chips have never been the same since they banned chip shops from making vinegar from acetic acid and stopped them from wrapping them in newsprint. :evil:

Vinegar is made of acetic acid, so that didn't change, the taste change is that chips in cartons, as opposed to newsprint, is that chips in cartons steam, and parboil again, due to resteaming, so become heavy on the palette, whereas chips in paper the paper absorbes the fatty content of the fat, so the chips are crispier, and not fat laden.

My girlfriend worked in a chippy..and this is true.

Nothing beat coming out of the swimming pools ( Cub night, Yes many yrs ago). Being picked up by dad in the car and a trip to the chippie for rock and chips wrapped in newspaper and that acid rain vinegar.

One night he took us to a kFC and ordered two portions of chicken and chips, when told the price he said F**K off and we all walked out! Back to chippie and a whole chicken a portion of ribs and chips all over the shop cheaper! We loved that chippie, still there now to this day althoug moved away now.

And it is a fact Wagon Wheels have shrunk!

Just to put my threepennies worth in (do you remember) if you would like a slighly different taste to your chips sprinkle them with garlic salt before cooking. Let them stand for a while because the salt will draw out the water. Pat dry and then cook. :)

Nothing beat coming out of the swimming pools ( Cub night, Yes many yrs ago). Being picked up by dad in the car and a trip to the chippie for rock and chips wrapped in newspaper and that acid rain vinegar.

One night he took us to a kFC and ordered two portions of chicken and chips, when told the price he said F**K off and we all walked out! Back to chippie and a whole chicken a portion of ribs and chips all over the shop cheaper! We loved that chippie, still there now to this day althoug moved away now.

And it is a fact Wagon Wheels have shrunk!

I suspect when a food outlet provides food, already in a bin. I ate a meal at KFC, and had an incident in the night, and spent two weeks in hospital, suspected appendicicis, but I was released, as so dehydrated, that I needed another 2 weeks off work.

I was on a saline drip, and one night, they installed the replacement, but set the drip feed to max, I could feel it running down my vein..previously the drip took a day, this one took an hour to empty.

Wagon Wheels haven't got smaller, it just that we got bigger. Loved the wrap open packet, now they are vacuum sealed..grr.

Wagon Wheels haven't got smaller, it just that we got bigger. Loved the wrap open packet, now they are vacuum sealed..grr.

Nope, old wives tale that. They have gotten smaller.
Also check Cadburys choco, they have removed a chunck from most bars now. Same price though.
Suppose thats a myth too is it:p
Aunt used to work in the facory in "The Wirrel" factory was at top of her road. Used to get stuffed silly on hols to Liverpool! The nice side of the pool though, as in closer to New Brighton beach ( Trade descriptions act broken there too!).

[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Back