realistic basement flat ceiling height?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im in the process of creating a basement flat. At present I have 2.15m floor to ceiling joist. But I reckon after floor insulation, chipboard and two layers of plaster board im going to be left with something around 2.03m.
I realise more height is preferable but in reality this is a basement not a church hall.

What are peoples experience in this area....would a smidgeon ovrr 2m be enough to let out to average height people?

Sponsored Links
If memory serves me right there is no minimum ceiling height for 'normal' use but if the basement is to form a separate dwelling, then most local authorities will apply a minimum ceiling height of 2,300-2,400mm when considering an application.

Then there's fire regs etc.

Sponsored Links
If you are doing this as a separate dwelling and through Building Control, you may find you need more depth to the ceiling.
It's not just a case of fire regs, it's sound insulation as well and this can entail things such as resiient bars supporting the plasterboard and some additional work to the floor above.
As a minimum, you would be looking at two 15mm layers under the bars.
If you are keeping the existing cellar floor, use, say, 25mm insulation and 18 chipboard.
Will you be tanking under the floor and up the walls?

Official line from local bld regs contact

I can confirm that there is no minimum headroom within the flats, the only restrictions under the building regulations in relation to this topic are a minimum of 2.0m over stairs and landings. Obviously you don’t want to go too low as this will restrict the usefulness of the property.

Official line from local bld regs contact

I can confirm that there is no minimum headroom within the flats, the only restrictions under the building regulations in relation to this topic are a minimum of 2.0m over stairs and landings. Obviously you don’t want to go too low as this will restrict the usefulness of the property.

Is that for normal use?

Did you say you wanted to rent them as seperate units?

There's no regulation on ceiling height but as others have said it needs to be high enough to be practical otherwise the number of people that might be interested in it would be so low as to knock the value below the costs. Be aware also that when renting you come under the environmental protection act - that's environmental health officers! And that lot make up their own rules as they go along. So if you get one that doesn't like it you'll be in the do-dos.

There's no regulation on ceiling height but as others have said it needs to be high enough to be practical otherwise the number of people that might be interested in it would be so low as to knock the value below the costs. Be aware also that when renting you come under the environmental protection act - that's environmental health officers! And that lot make up their own rules as they go along. So if you get one that doesn't like it you'll be in the do-dos.

I thought there was a minimum height(2300)if the conversion was for rental purposes/living accommodation.

As you have stated there are many other areas that will need careful attention/consideration, including fire regs, ventilation/extraction etc.

I've come across minimums for houses in multiple occupation but not 2300mm - more like 2100mm from memory. But of course HMOs come under much stricter controls. In general EHOs have much broader scope and work under loose rules like 'it must be suitable' or 'appropriate living conditions'. They then decide on an individual basis. If a rented flat was causing issues for a tenant an EHO could definitely add in ceiling height if they thought it added to the general depressiveness of a flat. The other thing that's on the change is living standards and space standards are being brought back for planning purposes. So I can see a time in the future when a planning application for a change of use will be refused because a certain ceiling height couldn't be achieved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back