Rear access to house needs platform??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cannot seem to find any building regulation guidelines for steps leading from the rear door of my house to the garden.
The only regulations seem to apply to the "access" to a dwelling, where "access" is defined as the nearest private entrance a visitor would access the dwelling from getting out of a car/being dropped of by s car on the highway.
The rear door is a French door opening outwards. This is a new extension and the planning detail is not clear whether there is a platform at the top of the steps.
From what I can find the only guidance is that any garden steps (this is what I am calling them as they aren't the "access" point) should not be any less safe than what was previously present.
There is not room to have a platform and the four steps of height and travel that would be required under "access" regulations as there is an easement pathway for the other houses only 1m from the back door.
Can anyone clear this up please?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There are no regulations if you are just adding this to an existing house. You can do what you like.

Your only obligation is to build the steps so that users don't injure themselves, and this is a general common duty of care that you have to visitors.

The regs you are looking at are for access for a disabled person and would not apply to the rear door.
If the new extension has not been completed by building control there may be regs applicable, this would depend on the total rise of the steps. If it has been completed by B Control then any alterations are not controlled but you may wish to follow any guidance in approved doc Part K.

If the new extension has not been completed by building control there may be regs applicable, this would depend on the total rise of the steps. If it has been completed by B Control then any alterations are not controlled
Eh...?

Sponsored Links
Its a new extension so presumably it has a B reg app, it was not stated how new or if it has been written off as complete, if it has not been completed then, depending on the overall rise, there may be some B Reg issues to satisfy in order for building control to complete the work. If the work has been completed then any subsequent alterations would not be a material alteration and not subject to B Regs.
As the original post mentioned the possibility of a platform (landing?) to the steps I'm guessing that there's a possibility that the overall rise may bring this into the scope of the regs but without this information it is not possible to be certain.

Thank you , it has not been signed off yet as work is still ongoing. Distance from threshold to ground level is 60cm if that helps?

Thank you , it has not been signed off yet as work is still ongoing. Distance from threshold to ground level is 60cm if that helps?
Bang on the limit for needing a landing handrail etc, 600mm is the dimension when these are required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back