Rear extensions - where does one even start?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are planning on building a rear extension to our three bedroom semi-detached house that we have recently moved into. From reading here, I note the importance of getting multiple quotes, but I'm not quite sure what the best way is to get the final extension planned and drawn so that we can get like-for-like quotes.

Would be grateful for any idiot-proof pointers or suggestions on how to go about things. If you were me (with no direct building experience) what would you be doing over the next couple of weeks?

I've attached a rough before/after sketch and some description (and complicating factors).

Current House
- 1930s semi-detached house, not previously extended.
- Rear of property (where we want to build) extends 80cm further out than first floor, meaning there is a very small pitched roof at the rear.
- Boiler is situated in its own 'room' attached to the rear corner of the house (access from garden).

Proposed Extension
- Rear extension 6.5m wide (extending across the full rear of the house) x 5m deep.
- Will require removal of boiler room and relocation of boiler (potentially into utility room, which is currently the kitchen).
- Will require removal of the small pitch roof currently on the rear of the property.
- Ideally a "vaulted" roof if costs permit.
- Bifold doors leading to garden.
- Relocation of kitchen to extension.
- Splitting of old kitchen into two rooms (utility room with door to kitchen and study that uses current door to kitchen (this wait if costs don't permit).

Complicating Factors
- We intend to also make a loft extension with ensuite bathroom in 18-24 months time so need to make sure changes particularly to plumbing will be suitable for this.
- Quality of household plumbing has not been assessed, but the bathroom (above the kitchen) is in urgent need of improvement. It currently houses an immersion tank. There also seems to be 3 water tanks in the loft and the boiler itself is old. Since the boiler will likely be moved/replaced for the extension, I'm tempted to do the bathroom/boiler sooner rather than later.
- Electrics not formally assessed.
- Hope for permitted development under neighbor consultation scheme, but not yet discussed with them other people in the street seem to have 3 or 4m extensions. Hoping 5 isnt seen as too controversial.
- We won't have the luxury of being able to move out while work takes place.

Current Questions / Concerns
- I've used some online calculators and had quotes for the above at in inc. VAT cost of around £40k. Does that seem realistic? This we can afford, but obviously the more it costs, the longer we have to wait for the loft extension. If it is estimated above £50 then we would definitely make it smaller.
- What sort of cost uplift does a vaulted ceiling bring?
- Is a vaulted ceiling even possible over the 6.5m house width in a manner that is still compliant with permitted development max-heights?
- I'm worried household services eg. water,gas,electric,phone might arrive via the rear of the property and be disrupted as soon as work starts. Is there a way I can find out?

Next Steps...
How would you suggest I push things on?

Do I need an architect at this stage to confirm/develop the design and produce plans I can get quotes from? Will an architect give cost guidance as well? There seems little point on having an architect develop our ideas into plans if they are unaffordable.

Very grateful for any responses- thanks!

Attachments

• roughplan.jpg
    roughplan.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 295
Sponsored Links
£40k seems ambitious, £50k seems more realistic bearing in mind the new kitchen, internal changes and inevitable boiler replacement. Architectural Technician is the way to go, architect is overkill, talking of which professional fees will be in the region of £3k on top.

At 5m out, you would struggle to get the roof height under the 4m maximum allowed for it to be permitted development.
In that case it would need planning permission and it might go outside your council's policy guidelines.

How about a flat roof with lantern?

A architects Bill wil be about 3K including building regs drawings, the council fees to approve the plans and administrate the building regs will be about 1K and the permission should last for 5 years.
You will be able to keep costs down if you have the extension built in a timber frame with stud walls which is quicker and cheaper than having it built with block and brick with traditional backing and skim coat plaster finish.
The architect will have worked with various builders in the past and if asked will no doubt be able to recommend or even discount certain firms on the quality of their work.

I would get plans drawn up and agreed first, which will take at least 8 weeks from the time they are submitted to get permission and then worry about cost and logistics.

Good luck
Mike

Sponsored Links
You will be able to keep costs down if you have the extension built in a timber frame with stud walls which is quicker and cheaper than having it built with block and brick
What do you propose they finish the timber frame with?
How is timber frame cheaper?

If you want accurate like for like quotes, don't bother bringing builders on board until you have full b'reg's drawings.
Vaulted roofs can cost double that of a joisted (standard loft insulated) roof.
It took a week just to complete the insulation detail on this job......

You need a designer first.

Pick him carefully as the whole costs of the work depend on his skill and expertise. Explain to him your requirements and cost budget, and instruct him to design on that basis, not on a whim.

Timber frame will increase costs, limit options, and increase risk.

Hi

This sounds similar to my extension which I am part way through. Did a lot of shopping around and incorporated a few wow factors such as 7.5m bifold doors facing the garden which go from one side of the house to the other. Happy to discuss this with you and go through the plans and stages which I went through...contact me via pvt message

I was told the timber frame would be cheaper by our architect and obviously the frame would have facing bricks to match the existing on the outside.
Why would a timber frame extension not be cheaper than a brick and block construction?

Why would a timber frame extension not be cheaper than a brick and block construction?

Per m2, build cost is about the same, and potentially a little more for timber frame for an extension.

A big factor for labour costs, is that most extension builders are not experienced in timber frame construction, and the few that are charge a premium.

There is little in favour of a timber frame for a one-off extension, unless there are specific reasons.

How is the bottom timber fixed to the bottom flange of the UB?

And out of interest, why such a complex design, rather than an single UB under the ridge? Any pics of the final finish on the inside?

And out of interest, why such a complex design, rather than an single UB under the ridge? Any pics of the final finish on the inside?

Agree; appears nicely executed, but on the face of it a poor design aesthetically, unless there are factors we don't know about?

Too cluttered and, yes, begs the question as to why no ridge beam instead of two steel beams up near the ridge. Was the SE perhaps worried about the rafters being over-spanned?

How is the bottom timber fixed to the bottom flange of the UB?
I have my beams drilled so that I'm able to bolt timbers either into the web and/or onto the flanges.
Not sure. Probably the same person that designed the ridiculous purlin beams at 355mm deep!

I never photographed the inside though it does look very nice. She painted everything white. She actually started painting the high part (vaulted) as the plasterers were finishing off a nearby wall! Crazy artists. I do have a fondness for eccentric people.:D

Remembered, I am going over there in the new year to repair some broken tiles. Apparently the wind picked up the trampoline and slammed it into the roof. Not on the extension though thank goodness. I'll take some piccies then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back