Reasonable quote?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
Replacing my Sime superior 60 conventional boiler with a combi, getting 3 quotes and had the first one but I think it's a **** take. Quote is as follows:

Work to be done: Powerflush system + add inhibitor, upgrade gas pipework, inline scale reducer, Magentic debris filter, fit Rf programmable thermostat, disconnect and cap storage tank in loft, fit new boiler.
>Worcester 34CDI (7 yr warranty)-£2930
>Worcester 38CDI (7 yr warranty)-£3075
>Valient 831 (7 yr warranty)-£2950
>Valient 837 (7 yr warranty)-£3080
>Baxi duotec 33kw (7 yr Warranty)-£2710
>Baxi duotec 40kw (7 yr warranty)-£2820

"note-we can not gurantee integrity of existing radiators or pipework on exisiting systems"

I've been looking on the internet and those boilers all cost around £1000 which means he wants £2K in labour, I know there is a bit of work to do but I expected to pay no more than 2K in total! Also I've heard of these boilers and heard good things but which is the king of boilers in your eyes.

I know you can't answer my question accurately without seeing for yourselves but a guestimate would be good. FYI we have 13 radiators, 2 baths, 2 sinks, there are only 2 of us and have 7 baths a week. Thank you

Sponsored Links
They don't look too bad to me.

But did he measure the dynamic flow rate of your water supply?

There are a lot of odds and ends included but he should have specified the thermostat to be used.

I am sure you can get it cheaper.

And there are boilers that I think are better too!

Tony

Sponsored Links
fair play MJgas, but still a lot for labour in my eyes. No measurements he just looked said I need a new gas line, said current one is 15mm so will put in a 28mm and then go down to 22mm for the boiler. The only way in or out of the loft is a little hatch that I can just squeeze into so tank must of been installed prior to the roof going on lol, that's why I said leave it up there as it's not going to be doing any harm, I can see why a plumber would want to remove it (scrap=£££££)

I said leave it up there as it's not going to be doing any harm, I can see why a plumber would want to remove it (scrap=£££££)

It is not worth anthing. But is a job he should be doing for that price, you cut them up with a recip saw and skip them off, not doing it is only to your detriment

those prices are Ok in my opinion you say the boiler is only £1000 dont know where you get that from and is he getting the Chemicals the particle filter the RF roomstat the scale reducer the CU pipe the fittings all free with the boiler ?

Don't forget the van he uses to get to you, insurance, tax, national insurance, cost of buying and maintaining tools, accountancy fees, advertising, training and all the other overheads a business has.

It really winds me up when folk take the cost of half the materials then decide the rest is labour.

Those prices seem about right to me, I would rate the vaillant over WB. The new Worcesters have too much plastic in them for my taste.

take everything on board and not trying to fall out with anything but I find your response a bit aggressive, lets get something straight a boiler at 1k is not half the cost of materials, copper pipe is next to nothing, ok the controller and thermostat for top end your looking 100-200, inline filter 50, and magnet filer 50, inhibitor 60. Second I understand about the cost of insurance, van, tools ect but I would of thought there is a flat rate for plumbers per hr and over the course of a years work goes towards that (e.g. charges £5 per hour more to cover costs, 40hrs p/week x £5=£200, 200 x 52=£10,400), I wish I could charge people more in my job so that I can buy and maintain a newer car, despite all of his running costs I'm sure he is making a nice profit which adds up to alot more than a decent wage.

3K is a lot of money, but I don't mind paying that if it is worth it

There isn't a flat rate in any business, wait for the other quotes to come through, they might be more to your liking.

Do remember though, pay peanuts get monkeys, go with what feels right, you are also paying for theaftercare should there be a manufacturer fault with the appliance, can you trust the guy who turns up in his volvo estate people, regardless of how cheap he is

Retraining costs a fair bit. My next full round will be close to £4k.

Op... how much does your boss charge you every few years to do your job?

Do you have an iphone? Do you know how much they cost to produce?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back