Reasonable quote?

i agree gavtheplumbing but just because someone is cheap doesn't mean there rubbish just like if someone charges a lot doesn't mean they are good. Will wait for the other quotes now.

Sponsored Links
Another question i have asked but never had an answer from on these threads us:

What percentage of an estimate does the homeowner think is acceptable profit?

Bearing in mind that profit does not necessarily equate to take home pay.

My business has to make a profit, without profit there is no cashflow, without cash flow there is no business and I can't keep servicing my longstanding customers.

To answer the op, you would be surprised at the cost of ancillary items, in some cases they come in at a cost greater than the boiler. And honestly not many installers would give you a choice of 6 appliances. Really depends upon your lifestyle as to which boiler. If you are going to run 2 baths simultaneously forget any combi. But you really need to check your cold water measurements before going any further with quotes. I did a quote in Mansfield recently whereby the homeowner only had 11lpm flow with pressure just over 1 bar. So far she's had 2 quotes for combi's one a 34cdi and the other a Baxi Duo 33. Absolutely pointless imo.

Sponsored Links
The OP is...... oh let me guess....

Don't get suckered in to a 40 page thread by drivel / systems. You all know he's done his homework and re-invented himself. Walk away now.

Snowyy";p="2910968 said:
Hi guys
Replacing my Sime superior 60 conventional boiler with a combi, getting 3 quotes and had the first one but I think it's a p**s take. Quote is as follows: bla bla bla
Snowyy";p="2910968 said:
You are right to get more than one quote, but before you started whinging, it may have been useful to see the others first. You don't like his quote - don't use him. Pretty simple really. Bur don't slag him off to others, the price isn't completely outrageous, but you ignoring the several hundreds of pounds worth of material and parts is. Have you seen the price of a 28m fitting?

Incidentally, I assume you wouldn't dream of factoring the cost of quoting jobs into your "calculation". At least two plumbers are going to have to write off valuable time and diesel, to allow you to get the three quotes.

Why, because it takes away business from plumbers? You aren't entitled to a living.

No, because you would struggle to get it commissioned, consequently, you arrive in cowboy land to the extent that you end up putting peoples lives in danger.

Hence the replies you have had.

The quotes seem fine and he seems to be quoting all possible foreseeable problems, bloody annoying when u question his professionalism ! How much do u pay solicitors mechanics etc, u pay a professional the goin rate or u will be ack on here bleating about having a Ferroli , no power flush under sized gas etc but hey u probably saved a £k an risked u or ur families life, good luck mate

What is that supposed to mean?

And the forum doesn't condone diy gas eork,

Idiot.

Are you having trouble reading? I said he should do the plumbing bits himself and get someone in to do the gas work.

This thread is far too full of grumpy plumbers.

Why do you not think I am entitled to a living?

Why do you think I am grumpy?

My reading abilities are perfectly adequate thank you.

What do you define as gas work?

No one is entitled to a living - you earn it. That means that if you DIY your heating system and get someone in to do the bits you can't do, there's nothing wrong with that.

Gas work is work involving gas! Also flues. Anything which requires you to be registered, trained, certificated, etc.

calm down dudes, wasn't moaning just asking if 3K seems reasonable as this is my first house and my first boiler upgrade it is all new teritory to me. Like I said if it's worth 3K i will happily pay 3K but I just couldn't see how it added up but after reading through the posts I can see now that materials come to quite a lot. Thank you for all your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back