Reasons for blocking up airbricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is purely out of interest but on my estate each house has 4 air bricks at the bottom of the gable end. Without fail every house has had 2-3 of these cemented up. I'm assuming at some point these were deemed unnecessary - or they let a lot of heat out.

Just curious - anyone know?

Sponsored Links
it might have been a ventilated wall cavity. These were popular for a while, but no longer.

it might have been a ventilated wall cavity. These were popular for a while, but no longer
I have, what I assume, is a ventilated wall cavity on my 20's house.

Large external airbricks fitted to the outer leaf. Missing bricks on the inner leaf subfloor at different locations. Cavity open at the loft. The 3 rooms without fireplaces have brick sized ceiling level airbricks on both leaves , so you can see light out of them.

Very good breeze in the subfloor.

Just wondering what's wrong with them

Sponsored Links
1955 and I had three square ones, which had metal grills on the inner leaf, kitchen, bathroom and small bedroom. The metal grills were removed and bricked up four decades ago, when we had CH installed. They were installed when ventilation was essential for coal fires, none-room sealed gas appliances and etc.. When the metal grills were in place, made the rooms very cold in winter. I have since blocked up the outer leaf vents to, but I do still have a few smaller vents (size of a brick) allowing some air flow in the cavities. House is built on a concrete raft, so no under floor needing ventilation and is CWI'ed.

if the area was / is prone to flooding, I have seen several properties with blocked up vents, in a vane attempt to stop floor water entering the sub floor area, it does not work flood water will find other ways to gain entry.

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back