reboarding out from bare bricks in bathroom best way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi wondered if anyone can give me some advice.im taking all the tiles off in bathroom right back to bare brickwork.i then need to reboard out,what is the best way to do this so i get a flat finish as i then need to retile.thanks

Sponsored Links
thank you woody,as i havent done this b4 would it b easier 4 me to batten out .or would that be totally wrong as my main worry is getting it level

you can also dab the areas of high water exposure (shower, bath enclave) with aquaboard if you wish. these boards will require screwing once the dabbing has set.

Sponsored Links
ceramix said:
thank you woody,as i havent done this b4 would it b easier 4 me to batten out .or would that be totally wrong as my main worry is getting it level
Using battens on uneven surfaces is nigh on useless - you spend hours packing out each batten to get a level - well - level.

Use plasterboard board adhesive (the so-called dot-and-dab method). Slop it on and push the board so its flush to, ideally, lines drawn on the floor and ceiling.

Use Bonding, Browning or Hardwall. Apply a scratch coat 5mm or so then lay on another coat building to a thickness of about 12mm.

Rule with your featheredge, horizontally then vertically, fill any hollow's leaving a finished thickness around 8 to 10mm and there you have it...

You can skim with multi but if you are tiling, tile direct to the bonding..

Plasterboard wall's :mad:

Three easy steps in 3 pictures

before.jpg

during.jpg

after.jpg

That bath looks completely different once the tiling is finished!! :LOL: Glass taps too, or are they invisible? :p

:D

when that picture was took i hadnt fitted the basin tap. Was waiting for delivery.

I have especially dug out a picture of the new bath just for you Basher so you get an idea..

poor picture though sorry.. and NO taps on the bath either. Though the bath is meant to be that way.

bath.jpg

And before someone mentions it, YES the tiles around the bath where not grouted when this picture was took.

Like the border mosaic; looks exactly like the one I used in my kitchen with 150 x 50mm matt black tiles; but they were bloody expensive!

they started as a 30x30cm mosaic tile. I just cut them into strips. The correct border for the tiles would have cost about £380.00 :eek:

I was passing a well known tile shop and spotted them on offer. I think they worked out at 6.99 per tile and i got about 7 or 8 30cm long borders per sheet.

Cost £70.00 better than the £380

I have too say i wished i never did the between the 2 windows around the mirror and down to the sink... i think it looks a little much but everyone else says it looks good :confused:

Maybe they are just humoring me... Now i know you guys would tell me the truth..

I looked everywhere to try & match the small oblong mosaic we wanted in sheet form but couldn’t find anything, it was either too large or didn’t look right. In the end I stumped up around £200 for ours; & that was with a 20% discount!

It’s sometimes good to make a bold statement! My wife needed considerable convincing to go with matt black tiles & when she came home at the end of the first day & looked at them just hanging there all dark & forlorn we both thought o-my-god I’ve made a huge mistake; but after the thin joint, white grout went in & the walls were painted white it was transformed!

Hey diyisfree, your bathroom looks really nice. I am really stunned by the end result. The room in it's bare state looks like a cow shed in the 1st picture, but it's amazing what nicely arranged tiles can do :). Very well done :). I just hope my tiling will be as good as yours:cool:. I will be attempting this in a few weeks (my 1st attempt). I have to give it a try :confused:.

Tozzy,

To be honest, i fit Bathrooms and Kitchens for my living now .. And plaster in the traditional way..

NO bwoody drylining :mad: Unless it is a stud wall then i cry when i have to go to builders merchants to get it :cry:

If you want to see a BIG transformation look at this one i did a few weeks ago 200 year old cottage that had been un-occupied for 18 months :LOL:

bathroom1.jpg

bathroom2.jpg

Like most jobs, it all boils down to preperation. If your walls have been re plastered nice and flat and you apply your adhesive with an adhesive float rather than one of those little plastic spreaders then you really cant go wrong. Take your time, start from the centre of each wall and work outwards left and right. Never start at the corner then work across.

I see a lot of jobs where tiles have been cut either a tad to small or large but they will fit in the gap, once grouted they look ****e because the gap is either small or big. If you cock a cut up, simply trim a bit more off or cut another tile.

Remember to allow at least 10% for wastage.

Good luck

NO bwoody drylining Unless it is a stud wall then i cry when i have to go to builders merchants to get it

In that case, you won't be the only one crying then because I have to get some plasterboard too and I imagine you have transport. I don't. Even when I need cement, I have to take my Mother's shopping trolley with me to get a bag at a time :cry:. Weighs a bloodee tonne too :(. Ah well. I should learn to drive lol. Would love to get a rusty white van for all me bits and pieces :D.

Thanks for tips mate and your bathroom transformation in the cottage looks amazing. It's a really nice job. lol you wouldn't want to see my bathroom the way our tiler did it lol. It's crazy to think that some people think it's possible to tile professionally on drastically uneven surfaces.

There aren't many people who offer the full package.

What i mean is, someone comes to plaster, then the tiler, then the plumber and so on.

I turn up, destroy your bathroom completely then 4 days later polish your taps in your completed new bathroom...

The cottage turned out a lot more than expected. I mean I hadn't invisioned that when i removed the bath, there would be NO floor joist left after 30 years of water penetration had made them go a tad flaky.

I get all the good jobs me :cry:

could you imagine ever cooking in a kitchen like this ? I mean LOOK at the nicotine stained curtains :eek: The cupboard on the top right was full of nicotine, you can see the correct colour on the inside of the door.

before1.jpg

The customer wanted to tile himself so i just completely replastered the walls and fit the new kitchen.

kitchen2-1.jpg

Still its all good fun..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back