Reccomend me a CORDED reliable drill

d3v

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, first post here.

I'm about to fit some shelves so perfect excuse to get myself a decent drill.
I've worn out this generic supermarket-bought drill, but it was never powerful enough anyway, and ran far too warm after moderate use.

I'm after a good reliable corded drill... something that will last me.
I will be using it mostly to drill in to wood, and buffalo horn (bowyer hobby) and also masonry in the garage to installed the shelves.

Is Bosch blue the way to go as I've heard nothing but praise about them :?:

Sponsored Links
for DIY, Bosch green will do if you have the money get the blue.

I see an inherent problem with this ... the drills made today are unknown as to how long they will last :rolleyes:

I've got a dewalt and a B&D which are over 10 years old, but are they the same as those made today?

Anyway I'd say get any one you like from any of the main brands at similar price points and they will last

You will get the fan bois with their favourite drills, but they all perform the same. TBH, it probably just comes down to price and what accessories you get with it

Just think about whether you want/need an SDS unit or not

What are the largest holes you expect to drill in each material type? You must consider this before choosing a drill

Sponsored Links
Bosch blue SDS.

For the money there is no rival. Mebbe overkill for infrequent diy usage but they are reasonably priced.

Makita make very good drills.

BTW, if your drill is overheating then it's a drill bit you want.

Bet some blue Bosch ones.

as a matter of fact I do. The reason I went for the 110v is becuase I knew the auction wouldn't attract 99% of household DIY'ers that don't own a transformer, so I could actually get a bargain.
I may well only use the drill for minor infrequent jobs, but I like the fact that I'm understressing the machine so that it will last a lifetime and always work.

what drill bits do you guys reccomend?
This Bosch GBH 2-18 RE I've just bought is SDS Plus.

I'll need drill bits for the following...

buffalo horn
hard wood
plasterboard
masonry
sheet steel

Did these guys lead you astray? SDS+ is not a multi-purpose drill and is not going to be ideal for wood, plasterboard, steel (not fast enough for HSS bits), or anything other than masonry. Sure, you can turn the hammer off, but it'll lbe heavy and slow. :(

On the positive side, your masonry holes will be done in seconds...

That's not a general purpose drill. It's the WRONG drill for you.

Sure, you can turn the hammer off, but it'll lbe heavy and slow. :(

Yeah that was my logic; turn off the hammer feature and it should be fine for wood/horn and sometimes sheet steel (I do PC case modding now and then).

I understand these SDS plus drills can be modified to perform better on wood and plasterboard with the use of a "chuck adapter" which can be purchased seperately here http://www.powertoolspares.com/tool...rotary-hammer-pbh-2000-sre/3603c44321/spares/

item code: 1 618 571 031

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back